PDA

View Full Version : clean up crew?

alex28
05/21/2012, 12:45 PM
hey guys so my tank already cycled and was wondering what do you guys recommend for a clean up crew any input or opinions would help thanks guys :thumbsup:

Uncle Salty 05
05/21/2012, 01:14 PM
Nassarius snails are good, cerith snails, and cucumbers.
I personally like tiny blue leg hermits. (I get them free) They get a bad wrap on here, but IMO they are one of the hardest workers I have seen.

yh1185
05/21/2012, 01:19 PM
I would suggest a variety of snails, and a few hermits(most hermits will take out snails for their shells, so just be aware of that) If your planning on ordering online, i would suggest going to reefcleaners.org and asking John to making you a custom cleanup crew, or picking up one of their quick crews. He's really nice, and will give you whatever you want and more. Just as a warning though, he usually gives you WAY too much more, so I would order a smaller clean up crew then you think you need, and then fill in with some other creatures when you find ones you want/like.

Sasquatchluvin
05/21/2012, 01:23 PM
+1 on the Nassarius snails, cerith snails. Cucumbers are for salads. I read they can poison a tank if they die. Fighting conches are good. Crabs like to eat snails when they can.

bongarone
05/21/2012, 01:34 PM
Turbos and Nassarius snails are excellent.

Not a fan of Astrea snails. They can't right themselves and have a limited life span in most tanks. Hermits will get em when they're vulnerable.

Uncle Salty 05
05/21/2012, 01:36 PM
It depends on the cucumber.
The cucumbers that are indigenous to Florida are completely safe. Local divers bring them to the LFSs. They aren't pretty, but man they can clean some sand. It is the brightly colored ones that will nuke your tank.
I leave plenty of empty shells laying in my tank, so the crabs have no reason to kill my snails.

MrTuskfish
05/21/2012, 01:40 PM
Depends on the tank you're planning. many fish will eat any crab or snail.