PDA

View Full Version : Return pump suggestions

2tall 46385
05/22/2012, 06:43 AM
Well like the title says im in the market for a new return pump. Im in the process of redoing my whole system and now i need a much bigger pump. From where the pump will sit to the tank is a total of 48 foot of pipe, only 10 of which is verticle. But ive read that it doesnt matter if its up down or sideways when it comes to head pressure, that its measured in length of pipe. If thats 100% true i dont know, its what ive heard.

Im lookig for preferably a 220 volt pump that will give that will give 1000 to 1200 gph at that distance. So if anyone has any suggestions on a pump ( if it even exists) i would much appericate it. TIA

Tom

Donkeykong
05/22/2012, 09:44 AM
NO vertical pipe is not the same as horizontal pipe. Yes any pipe will add restriction and equal loss to pressure, but moving water horizontally is significantly easier than vertical. I have used small pumps to move water 20 feet away to drain, almost all horizontal, where the same pump would simple not push water higher than 4 feet vertically. I have had good success with Mag pumps, but I have never had large tanks so my experience with big pumps is limited. There should be others along that can give you good first hand experience with big boy pumps