PDA

View Full Version : replacing a hippocampus erectus

Bobtail1075
05/22/2012, 11:33 AM
I recengtly pitches a used seahorse setup that had a mated pair of black hippocampus erectus seahorses. Unfortunately the male died the day I was to pick it up so I was only able to get the female. I would like to get her a new mate though. I look up the hippocampus erectus and it shows allot of different color seahorses. I know I can't mix breeds so I want to make certain I get the correct male for her. Can you tell me if I can get any color hippocampus erectus to go with her? I know that the female is about 7 months old. I appolagize for my ignorence and I know I have allot to learn but I am learning everyday. Thank you for all the help everyone.

timinnl
05/22/2012, 11:41 AM
I recengtly pitches a used seahorse setup that had a mated pair of black hippocampus erectus seahorses. Unfortunately the male died the day I was to pick it up so I was only able to get the female. I would like to get her a new mate though. I look up the hippocampus erectus and it shows allot of different color seahorses. I know I can't mix breeds so I want to make certain I get the correct male for her. Can you tell me if I can get any color hippocampus erectus to go with her? I know that the female is about 7 months old. I appolagize for my ignorence and I know I have allot to learn but I am learning everyday. Thank you for all the help everyone.

If you buy a replacement male, don't fall for the trap of buying them by color. H. erectus can express a wide range of colors and pattern. I would first make sure everything is fine will your tank and the female. Why did the male die?

Kind Regards,

Tim

Bobtail1075
05/22/2012, 11:47 AM
I'm sure that we stressed him out by moving all the stuff in their tank before the move. Something may or may not have crushed him but I know everything was doing great up until the moment he died. I'm not so worried about color as much as I am just looking at my options on the next seahorse. I've made sure the tank was 100 percent after I brought it home so I'm not worried about the current condition and the female looks great and she is eating very well.

timinnl
05/22/2012, 11:51 AM
What size tank is it? How long has it been sewt up for?

Bobtail1075
05/22/2012, 11:58 AM
20 gallon, it was set up for about 9 months before I got it. I saved as much water as I could and did a good water change and replaced all the filter media. It is running a tunze protein skimmer. I have a good idea as to what I'm doing but I just need to know what to replace the male with. I'm new to seahorses but I have been running a reef tank for over 5 years. Thank you.

mtc1966
05/22/2012, 12:34 PM
if you can replace the tank with a 29 g pushing it with 20g for two horses . but you do have a good skimmer so you may be able to pull it off with good water changes and husbandry . other then that make sure you get a captive breed male.

Bobtail1075
05/22/2012, 12:51 PM
I guess my question is "How do I know what captive bred male to add? Can I add any hippocampus erectus?

mtc1966
05/22/2012, 12:52 PM
yes any male erectus.

rayjay
05/22/2012, 01:45 PM
In my experience it is not wise to just replace with any erectus.
Instead, find where the originals were purchased and get one from the same breeder as the original.
Mixing different sources of seahorses of the same species is as bad as mixing species in that one or both may die from the pathogens they expose to each other.
I agree, the 20g is not suitable for a pair of erectus, especially as they reach their full size. Is there a sump or refugium hooked to the system?
It would take a LOT more water changes and attention to tank husbandry than normal for it to work. Normal is even more husbandry than a reef tank.
For basic needs of seahorse keeping see the links at the bottom of "My Thoughts on Seahorse Keeping (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/seahorsekeeping.html)"

mtc1966
05/22/2012, 01:53 PM
Yes Rayjay is correct i should of worded that differently .