PDA

View Full Version : Vertex 200 or octupus xp5000

introwal
05/22/2012, 10:13 PM
Hi. I have 185 gal. In my system with sump. I Am looking for a new skimmer. Wich skimmer is best for my system. Vertex alpha cone 200 or octopus xp 5000.

Thanks

introwal
05/23/2012, 10:46 PM
Help please

Canadaguy
05/23/2012, 10:52 PM
Myself I would take the Alpha cone hands down. Better pump, higher quality construction and comes apart for cleaning

karsseboom
05/24/2012, 12:08 AM
Myself I would take the Alpha cone hands down. Better pump, higher quality construction and comes apart for cleaning

Why is the pump better? have you looked at a red dragon pump and then looked at a bubble blaster? There very close in design. The one thing the bubble blaster pump has over the red dragon is silicon nitrid shaft and bearings. Other then the pumps I think the build is very good on the xp5000 and that skimmer is a beast. My buddy has the same vertex 200 skimmer and is also a good skimmer but I dont think the sro skimmer is any less of a skimmer, infact I think it may be better.

jjk_reef00
05/24/2012, 12:54 AM
I was in the same boat but picked up the SRO because the cost of the pump is cheaper to replace if anything happens. I'm trying to figure out if the neck cleaner is worth the money.

introwal
05/24/2012, 01:17 PM
thanks, the price is much cheaper sro and spend a little more power the pump. The vertex is expensive but has a good reputation. you believe the vertex 200 is big for my tank, perhaps the vertex 170 is better.

karsseboom
05/24/2012, 03:06 PM
The sro pump has a 3 yr warranty and the skimmer has a 1 yr warrenty, just some more to think about.

Canadaguy
05/24/2012, 04:08 PM
Why is the pump better? have you looked at a red dragon pump and then looked at a bubble blaster? There very close in design. The one thing the bubble blaster pump has over the red dragon is silicon nitrid shaft and bearings. Other then the pumps I think the build is very good on the xp5000 and that skimmer is a beast. My buddy has the same vertex 200 skimmer and is also a good skimmer but I dont think the sro skimmer is any less of a skimmer, infact I think it may be better.

I own a Red Dragon myself on my Bubble King and also had one on my Alpha cone. The bubble blaster pump is a cheaper volute, which are cracking from what I have heard and they are not as quiet as a red dragon. I will take a quality German/Austrian product over a Chinese knock off anyday myself but each to there own! There is no quality craftsmanship in the Octopus skimmers I have seen sorry.

karsseboom
05/24/2012, 07:30 PM
I own a Red Dragon myself on my Bubble King and also had one on my Alpha cone. The bubble blaster pump is a cheaper volute, which are cracking from what I have heard and they are not as quiet as a red dragon. I will take a quality German/Austrian product over a Chinese knock off anyday myself but each to there own! There is no quality craftsmanship in the Octopus skimmers I have seen sorry.

Being made in Germany means nothing, there's a lot of thing made in germany that aren't great. I understand what your saying though and think the build quality is better with the alpha but I don't think it performs any better.

tkeracer619
05/24/2012, 07:55 PM
My biggest gripe on the xp5000 is that you cannot get to the bottom of it for cleaning without some specialty brushes ect and even then your really not going to get it all.

I think the 200 is properly sized for you.

They are both good skimmers that will result in roughly the same performance. The Vertex is better quality.

I would rather have the 200 but if budget is concerned would have zero regret going with the xp5000.

Canadaguy
05/25/2012, 02:30 PM
My biggest gripe on the xp5000 is that you cannot get to the bottom of it for cleaning without some specialty brushes ect and even then your really not going to get it all.

I think the 200 is properly sized for you.

They are both good skimmers that will result in roughly the same performance. The Vertex is better quality.

I would rather have the 200 but if budget is concerned would have zero regret going with the xp5000.

Yes not being able to clean the Octopus is one of the differences that turned me off Octopus's

Plato
05/25/2012, 08:17 PM

SRO 5k external and the pump is the quitest I have never heard.

Whip316
05/25/2012, 09:21 PM
i have the sro 5000 xt and the BB pump is very quiet and very effiient too. and i got a neck wiper on it to and i love it. i barely have to clean it and it skims like a beast. i only had a few skimmers, but this is a great quality skimmer for the money. last time i took my skimmer down to clean it i took it outside and put a hose to it to wash all the crud under the plate. i guaranty i feed more than 10 people a day each day in my system. i have this skimmer on my 200g clown breeding system. 13 pairs and i feed 6 to 8 times a day. frozen and pellet. i have it draining into a 5g bucket that smells horrid. hehe nothing a splash of bleach wont cure.