PDA

View Full Version : LEDs vs Majanos

bushnell
05/23/2012, 10:42 AM
Was talking to a fellow reefer the othr day. We were on the topic of LEDs and he said that he no longer sees any majanos in his tank since he switched over to LEDs. Claims that they dont like LEDs. So I went home and searched my tank and I dont have any at all. I used to battle them pretty hard with a zapper, kalk paste, lemon juice etc. Since I switched over to LEDs in Sept I actually have'nt noticed them anymore. Anyone else have this same experience. Buddy uses Radions and I use AIs.

gldnegle76
05/23/2012, 11:18 AM
Interesting. I have noticed my majano population has reduced since switching to AI Sols from t5, but still have a small handful that I have to keep after. However, with only softies, my intensities are at w25, b35, rb35.
Are you and the other reefer running higher intensities?

bushnell
05/23/2012, 11:52 AM
Interesting. I have noticed my majano population has reduced since switching to AI Sols from t5, but still have a small handful that I have to keep after. However, with only softies, my intensities are at w25, b35, rb35.
Are you and the other reefer running higher intensities?

He's running at 100% for a few hours a day and i'm running at 100% for 1 hour and in the process of slowly increasing that time. Thats not including the other times which of course are much lower intensities.

D-Nak
05/23/2012, 12:03 PM
I highly doubt there is a correlation between LEDs and majanos. Since majanos are anemones, they can detach and move to where they are more comfortable. If for some reason, they don't like the LED intensity, they'll move to a spot that they find more suitable. Could it be that you just don't see them anymore, but they are still in your tank? I have Radions and I have majanos. I hope you're right though, since I hate those suckers. They've killed quite a few of my zoas/palys (directly and by indirectly eradicating them with kalk paste).

Bigcefa
05/23/2012, 01:23 PM
Ya I'm gonna say LEDs don't affect them, my customer has a 400 gallon lit by LEDs for a couple years now he's got 100s of them Been a long battle...

BigCountry74
05/23/2012, 02:55 PM
I picked up a RBTA attached to a rock with a cluster of Majanos. He was running T5, I am running LEDs.

The Majanos turned from green to brown under the LED and have not really spread that bad. Not yet at least...lol

Dunno if that helps.