PDA

View Full Version : Top off clarification please

watermydoing
05/23/2012, 10:59 AM
So my understanding about topping off is this.....Please confirm if my thought process is accurate..

When tank is initially set up and desired SG is established.
I'll use the number 1.024. I have a piece of tape on my wet/dry sump for my initial set up where my water line is. After 2 or 3 days, water evaporates, but salt does not. Hypothetically speaking, if I let the water evaporate for 2 weeks without topping off, my SG levels should rise right? Because now I have the same amount of salt but less water in the tank. Meaning I should have a top off schedule that keeps the SG from fluctuating too far too fast. So by topping off twice a week, I'm essentially keeping the SG fairly balanced?

Accurate?
or
Way off base?

John

HaKs310
05/23/2012, 11:02 AM
Accurate! You get a star!

Measure daily and top off as needed.

watermydoing
05/23/2012, 11:06 AM
:rollface:

Thank you!!

Lynxone
05/23/2012, 11:07 AM
Twice a week may not be enough depending on your evaporation rate. Better to do lots of smaller top offs than a few big ones. This is why many people automate this with floats and an ato system.

FlyingRev
05/23/2012, 11:15 AM
What would the expected evaporation rate be for a 75 gallon tank with a canope using 3 kessil a150's be?

Any ideas?

Lynxone
05/23/2012, 12:49 PM
I think there can be a lot of variation due to many factors...ambient temperature, humidity, etc. I use about 3/4 gallon a day with a 72g tank and 20g sump.

EllieSuz
05/23/2012, 12:59 PM
There are too many variables to tell you how much will evaporate. For instance, at this time of the year when it's still too cool to run the central air, but still warm enough to trip my fans, the evaporation rate is higher. I would try to get into the habit of topping off daily if I were you. It only takes a few moments and keeps your tank more stable. You might also consider an automatic top-off system, and if you do, make sure to get two float valves in case one malfunctions.

Dwb859
05/23/2012, 01:09 PM
You shoud look at a auto top off system. It will keep your salinity very stable and allow you to maintain that 1.024. Only topping off a couple times a week will allow the salinity go up and down and your skimmer won't do as good a job without a consistent water level.

klwheat
05/23/2012, 01:33 PM
+1 to all the ato suggestions. I have had one on my last couple of tanks..including the 2 I currently have. It is much nicer to just refill the ATO container every few days than top off daily or twice daily. Also, allows you to do things like dose kalkwasser (if you want) in your ato in small doses throughout the day. If you want to manually top off...daily is much better. Besides, it takes only 5 mins or less to top off and scrape glass if necessary...and gives you a good excuse to check out the fish in the am :) I check my top off, protein skimmer and glass before I head out to work in the mornings.

watermydoing
05/23/2012, 02:14 PM
Can you recommend an affordable ATO system?

klwheat
05/23/2012, 02:20 PM
you'll get all kinds of opinions on ATOs. I have used the JBJ ato on 2 different tanks, and both have been good experiences. http://www.marinedepot.com/dosing_pumps_top_off_jbj_ATO_automatic_top_off_water_level_controller-ap.html
Pair it with a toms aqualifter pump and you're done. http://www.marinedepot.com/Tom_Aquatics_Aqua_Lifter_Dosing_Pump_Accessories_for_Aquarium_Overflow_Boxes-Tom_Aquatics-OE1137-FIOFOA-vi.html
I have also used the CoralVue top off. This one includes the pump and is a bit cheaper.
http://www.aquacave.com/CoralVue-12V-Electronic-Top-off-Float-Switch-P969C874.aspx May not be the best pump, but works well for me.

watermydoing
05/23/2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks Larry, So I'd just a need to get a container obviously to hold the fresh water then if I get the Coral vue?

EllieSuz
05/23/2012, 03:51 PM
Do you have a controller? If so, the manufacturer of your controller will sell float switches and you can program it to top off.

watermydoing
05/23/2012, 05:20 PM
No controller. I basically have a sump so far.

EllieSuz
05/23/2012, 05:43 PM
Well, we all have to start somewhere. lol When you get your feet wet, (no pun intended) look into getting a controller. I'd be lost without mine.

James77
05/23/2012, 07:09 PM
Autotopoff.com and aquahub.com both sell very reasonable top off setups using 2 float valves, all you do is add your own pump. Any powerhead works, or a top off doser from bulkreefsupply for pumping higher. I have used an autotopoff.com setup for close to 3 years with no problems, I use a litermeter 3 remote pump I picked up used to pump water from a 20 gallon barrel in my cellar.

mbd521
05/23/2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks Larry, So I'd just a need to get a container obviously to hold the fresh water then if I get the Coral vue?

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

SushiGirl
05/23/2012, 07:33 PM
I top off a gallon a day in a 55 w/canopy, sump & T5 lights.