PDA

View Full Version : The "Package" from Tampa Bay Saltwater

den75
05/23/2012, 11:53 AM
Has anyone bought or taken a look at the "Package" sold by Tampa Bay Saltwater? http://tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/index.html Was wondering what the outcomes were for anyone that has used this or your thoughts pros or con if you have taken a look at it.

Thanks!

pr12
05/23/2012, 12:35 PM
You can look at their forum for people that have had it
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=213

Touring
05/23/2012, 12:45 PM
if i would have seen this earler i would have most likely got it....

clabern
05/23/2012, 02:26 PM
I'm seriously considering going with this for my upcoming 38Gal Nuvo build. I've seen some posts where people have gotten the package and they all looked amazing. Although you're going to get some bad hitchhikers, you'll get lots of good ones too. Unfortunately with my LR I I had absolutely no hitchhikers, which is kind of boring.

Empty Bottles
05/23/2012, 06:42 PM
Seems a little pricey to me. You can piece together what they're wanting to sell you much cheaper on other websites. Liveaquaria has a good deal on a cuc, and you can get LR for that price shipped to your door from various sites, shipping included.

clabern
05/23/2012, 06:59 PM
The big difference, at least from what I can tell, is that the rock is shipped Live, in water. Most other places ship the rock dry, which causes a much longer curing time. From what I've seen of this stuff, there's almost no cure time, just a small cycle. From all the stuff I've seen this stuff also comes with a TON of life, and the company seems to always add in some extra "goodies" which is pretty cool.

I'm probably going to order the package for my next build here in about a month!

Empty Bottles
05/23/2012, 08:50 PM
I'm on a tight budget on my set up. If it's as good as you say it's definitely worth the cash though.

Cloudburst2000
05/24/2012, 09:50 AM
I bought the TBS "The Package" for my Nuvo set-up. Yes, it is pricey, but they air ship everything in water including the sand. They also ship in two separate shipments. The first includes more base-type rock (still has tons of life though) and they wait for your ammonia to drop to 0ppm before shipping the second and final installment (which also includes all the CUC and some really good hitchhikers). It took one week for my ammonia to drop to 0ppm and it never even got very high to begin with. The second shipment came with tons of large sponges (in orange, yellow, blue, etc), a really cool arrow decorator crab, other hitchhiker crabs and snails etc. I even got a fish as a hitchhiker. Of course, I also received the CUC with this shipment. I also got several teeny tiny pistol shrimps as hitchhikers. I've only ever seen one but I know I have, at least, three because I can hear them clicking away. Fairly sure at this point that they are not mantis wennerae as I haven't noticed any decrease in my invert populations. The only 'bad' hitchhikers I got were a handful of gorilla crabs but I nabbed them pretty easily with the glass trap. Anyhoo, I would totally recommend their stuff. Pricey but worth it. When I set up my larger tank, I will be using dry rock for the base but using TBS live rock for the rest. I'm a solid customer now.