PDA

View Full Version : think i messed up my initial start. Put live sand but dead rock. take it out?

Touring
05/23/2012, 03:00 PM
should i just take the dead rock out i got from the lfs and put live in? i love the way my rock looks its just not live. im sure it will eventually turn live but there is no live rock in there at all. i got some purple up and purple alge promoting bacteria.

What do you guys think, i just love the rock thats in there. thank you. i will eventually put corrals.

Japsican
05/23/2012, 03:02 PM
No, you're fine. Just leave everything as is and let it cycle. Also, I believe purple up is only good to promote coraline growth of existing coraline. Your best bet is to get a piece of live rock with some coraline on it to introduce it to your tank.

ken55
05/23/2012, 03:09 PM
I don't know about the additives, I've never used them.

It sounds like you REALLY like the current rock. Great news! You can keep it.
No reason to get rid of it.

I don't know what your poundage (is that a word?) is but get about 20% by weight of good live rock and add it to the tank. It will take a while but it will seed out the base rock that you like. When your base rock has become live rock you can remove the newer pieces if you want.

If you do remove it I would advise to do so slowly. A piece or two at a time over a couple of weeks. Don't yank it all at once as you may accidently upset the bioload.

bnumair
05/23/2012, 03:11 PM
leave it as is it will over time become live. i start this way everytime i do a tank. by the way products u mentioned are just waste of money and time u might as well return/refund them.
throw is a raw shrimp in the tank and maybe few pieces of LR in the sump to kick start the cycle. after the cycle is over. then just keep up with regular water changes, keep parameters of cal 420-480 alk 7-11 and mag 1300-1450 range. u can always buy a LR with a lot of coraline algae and place it in the tank and watch it grow.(after the cycle and keeping paramaters in constant check) good lighting is also a must for coraline.

Touring
05/23/2012, 03:24 PM
cool thanks guys. im gonna go and buy 2 smaller pieces of live to add to the main tank and just go from there. the live rock that they have just dosent look that good.

SushiGirl
05/23/2012, 07:07 PM
I don't know about the additives, I've never used them.

It sounds like you REALLY like the current rock. Great news! You can keep it.
No reason to get rid of it.

I don't know what your poundage (is that a word?) is but get about 20% by weight of good live rock and add it to the tank. It will take a while but it will seed out the base rock that you like. When your base rock has become live rock you can remove the newer pieces if you want.

If you do remove it I would advise to do so slowly. A piece or two at a time over a couple of weeks. Don't yank it all at once as you may accidently upset the bioload.

Great advice. And poundage is a word LOL.

Live rock just means it's housing the proper bacteria to support your tank. It does that pretty quickly from even a small piece or two of live rock. When you get pieces with coralline, you can brush them with a medium-bristle (unused) toothbrush in the tank to help it spread.

Purple-up is just glorified aragonite. Dosing calcium will do the same & is cheaper. Not sure what the purple algae-promoting bacteria is, never heard of that, which I guess means it's probably not a necessity either LOL. Coralline will take a couple of months to get established, with or without the 2 products you're adding.