PDA

View Full Version : smithii lighting

docstach
05/24/2012, 10:02 AM
Would a 4 bulb t5 setup be too much lighting? Tank would contain mutiple shaded areas and plenty of rubble/rock. I realize they do not need it, but if it would otherwise be ok and not harm a smithii it would make things a lot easier. From my initial reading it seems like they live in shallow water and would be ok with more light?

If it would be a problem, is there any other species that handles light better that you would suggest for an approx 13 gal tank?

Thanks, Matt

gpx1200
05/24/2012, 10:17 AM
that light will be fine for a smithii, if you plan on keeping corals in the tank make shure anything mantis size or smaller is well secured or hell move it or bury it on you

docstach
05/24/2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks!, no coral is this part of the system. I am planning on a display refugium that will house the mantis. Not planning on anything in there that couldn't be moved around.

Kharn
05/24/2012, 05:16 PM
G.smithii is a tidal dwelling species, what this means is that it lives rite up on the shore where there can be as much as a few feet of water to literally NO water, so they are virtually always exposed to bright sunlight, also because there a tidal dwelling species they are very adapt to a changing environment, by this I mean changes in salinity etc for example.

When it rains, G.smithii get dumped with freshwater, when the tide goes out G.smithii is exposed to oxygen because of the low water levels.

All in all this stomatopod really does speak out loud the true traits of stomatopods being 'tough az nailz', its the coral reef dwelling species (O.scyllarus) that require more immediate attention both short and long term.

G.smithii would make a great mantis in a "reef" style setup where there are lots of corals that need bright lights, O.scyllarus might be a reef dweller but it dwells on the reef floor where light is minimal.

docstach
05/24/2012, 08:25 PM
G.smithii is a tidal dwelling species, what this means is that it lives rite up on the shore where there can be as much as a few feet of water to literally NO water, so they are virtually always exposed to bright sunlight, also because there a tidal dwelling species they are very adapt to a changing environment, by this I mean changes in salinity etc for example.

When it rains, G.smithii get dumped with freshwater, when the tide goes out G.smithii is exposed to oxygen because of the low water levels.

All in all this stomatopod really does speak out loud the true traits of stomatopods being 'tough az nailz', its the coral reef dwelling species (O.scyllarus) that require more immediate attention both short and long term.

G.smithii would make a great mantis in a "reef" style setup where there are lots of corals that need bright lights, O.scyllarus might be a reef dweller but it dwells on the reef floor where light is minimal.

Perfect, that what I was thinking and wanted to hear. Now I just have to find a new tank, more rubble rock, and of coarse a mantis ;o)

Matt