PDA

View Full Version : Heat issues - possible solution

Meercat_Maric
05/24/2012, 06:30 PM
I am wondering if I can set my Iwaki 100RLT pressure pump on a timer which will turn it off at night and back on in the day. This is a possible solution to heat buildup in my cabinet as this pump gives off quite a bit of heat when cooling the housing.

The question pertains to the stresses this action will present to the pump. Since it is not a power head, but an external pressure pump I want to ensure it will not be damaged with this off and on cycle.

Furthermore, since this is only my closed loop pump - this should not pose any major circulation/filtration issues for my system - more like a long cycle wave maker.

Thoughts?:wave:
Thanks ahead of time!

tkeracer619
05/24/2012, 07:37 PM
Pump will be fine. Not sure how you have it plumbed but you might be cautious of water sitting stagnant in the lines. Doubt it will be an issue but...

Meercat_Maric
05/24/2012, 08:10 PM
Plumbed with spa flex to a valve I can close off - I don't think it will be a problem for the water as it would only be sitting for 6-7 hours at most.

tkeracer619
05/24/2012, 08:30 PM
I would leave the valves open.

fengxzhang
05/24/2012, 08:32 PM
So how do you get water circulation in your tank? Can't you just get some fans to circulate the air?

Meercat_Maric
05/25/2012, 07:50 PM
Currently have 2 clip on fans that blow directly onto my sump. Produces a lot of evaporation and keep the tank cool within 2-3 degrees of normal. But keep in mind that its not even summer yet and my lights are not running currently.

With all those additional factors ill be pushing 10+ degrees into the red.

I have 2 external iwakis producing flow to my tank. The Iwaki 100 is the closed loop an the 70 is the return pump. I plant o keep the return pump running all the time and shut the closed loop pump down over night to keep heat down.

This will all be buffered with a chiller very soon so I wont have such a rapid swing to buffer in Summer.