PDA

View Full Version : Should I prophylactically treat my DT with prazipro?

jeremy K
05/25/2012, 08:11 AM
I posted this in the Reef Discussion section, but then I thought I might get more responses here.

A few months ago I purchased a trio of dispar anthias. They had been treated at the LFS with a round of copper, so I didnt quarantine them. Although they looked healthy, they died a few weeks later. After much reading on this site, I suspect flukes may have been the cause (though I have no way to be sure).

At this point I worry for my other fish. They dont seem symptomatic, but i understand that with flukes you often dont see symptoms until it becomes severe.

There is no way I can catch and quarantine all of them. So I wonder if it would be wise to prophylactically treat my reef tank with prazipro just to be safe. Does this seem wise, or would people suggest against it?

MrTuskfish
05/25/2012, 09:13 AM
Yes, PP is one of few meds that can be used in a DT. Feather dusters, and any other worms, are the only animals in danger. IMO & IME, PP is very safe, easy, and I've never noticed any side effect. Then, use PP in your QT with all new fish.

aleonn
05/26/2012, 12:28 PM
I've used it in my DT without problems, and wouldn't hesitate to use it again, if needed. It's a good idea (and easy and reef/invert safe) to do to prevent mysterious and sudden fish deaths.

I'd do at least 2 rounds of treatment (7 days, water change, then another 7 days), but some folks report having to do up to 4 treatments to completely eradicate flukes from their fish.