PDA

View Full Version : Starting my first 20g setup

chad763
05/26/2012, 07:18 AM
Just set my tank up about a week ago, the tank is a 20g high.

A list of what I currently hae in it:

20lbs of liverock
30lbs of livesand
aquaclear 50 powerfilter
stock hood/canopy with a single zoomed t8 ocean light 10000k bulb
(the light is temporary during the cycle until i get a led on order)
Water was premixed saltwater from lfs

It's been running for about 4 days now, the sand has finally settled down from being disturbed dumping the water in.

Just a couple questions, is running just the sponge/carbon pack in the ac50 hob ok? is there anything else i should replace or use instead?

Is the current t8 bulb going to affect the cycle at all versus a led right now?

Should I pickup a powerhead for the cycle or is waiting for the tank to cycle first better? I have read mixed things about what to run and not to run during the cycle.

As of right now, I know I have no protein skimmer(may get when the tank is cycled), a sump is not an option, and upgrading to led is on the way.

As far as testing water, bought the test strips but have noticed there is a wide range of area per color of the strip, and will be getting a new way of testing soon.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks
Chad

rchavez
05/26/2012, 09:11 AM
Nice start. I have a great 20g mixed reef tank with lots of sps and lps.

Here is what I use for equipment:
Wavepoint T5 4-bulb Fixture
Remora Hang-on Skimmer
MP10
Small Hang-on filter for carbon & floss
Media Reactor with GFO

didz04
05/26/2012, 09:52 AM
I've never heard of a tank cycling without a powerhead, so my suggestion would be yes get the powerhead right away as it is the most important part of the filtration along with the live rock.

I have a 20g running at the moment but I have gone for a shallow tank instead, might make a thread. What are your tank measurement?

Look forward to it. Make sure to fill it with pictureS.

chad763
05/26/2012, 11:42 AM
Just picked up a hydor koralia 425gph so thats in and running, the tank dimensions are 24.3" x 12.5" x 16.8 to be exact off of there website.

Any feedback on the filter and what to run in the filter?

SilverGTS
05/26/2012, 12:50 PM
I run a AC70 converted into a refugium. I also run a sumpless tank. Here's mine if you need any ideas. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2136751&highlight=tree+sponge

-Chris

napsterMS
05/26/2012, 05:36 PM
I would copy SilverGTS's idea and run algae in the filter. What type of corals are you putting in your tank?

Azrael127
05/28/2012, 01:59 AM
I have a tank with the same dimensions and no sump as well. I run an aquafuge with chaeto and it seems to work great as for testing I use API test kits. I recently got a protein skimmer and now think I should have bought one from the start because of all the gunk it has taken out. I personally ran my lights during the cycle and saw no ill effects but they say every tank is different.

chad763
05/28/2012, 06:29 AM
I will have to look into that option for the hob filter, but for the mean time is running the sponge and carbon ok?

Its been almost a week, should I be paying attention for any kind of algae groth in the aquarium or on the rocks or anything? Or is there usually not any visual change and strictly paying attention to water tests?

Azrael127
05/28/2012, 11:28 AM
I would rely on water tests but in most cases people do get diatoms. The time it takes to cycle seems to really depend on the quality of the live rock you have and whether or not it was already cured.

chad763
06/03/2012, 09:07 AM
So there has been quite a bit of brown /gold algae? build up on the sand, some fuzzy broen/green build up on the rocks, and round purpleish spots on the sand. Is this all part of the cycle? Im still trying to figure out how to upload some pictures onto here.