PDA

View Full Version : AquaC EV 240 vs. EV 180 Height. Clearance questions.

artilespm
05/26/2012, 12:47 PM
I have several questions. Trying to decide whether to get an AquaC EV 240 or EV 180. I'm setting up a 130 gallon and plan on getting a standard 30 inch high stand.

1) Does anyone out there use a EV 240 with a 30 in high stand?
2) Do you get enough clearance for maintenance?
3) How difficult would it be to get a 32 inch high stand if necessary?

I really want the EV 240 because I plan on having a moderate to heavy stocked tank. Would the EV 180 be good enough? I've used the EV 120 in the past and love the performance, so I'm sticking with AquaC.

These are the skimmer heights.

EV 180 = 20"
EV 240 = 26"

artilespm
05/26/2012, 05:13 PM
Also, if I was looking to get a stand that was not a standard height, where can I find one? Any referrals?

Rosscopeco
05/26/2012, 06:41 PM
Hi, I have the EV 180 running on a similar sized tank that is heavily stocked and fed.
They are a good unit when combined with the right pump. I use a tunze silence electronic pump with adjustable speed and the skimmer keeps up nicely.
When you remove the head you would only need to lift it about half an inch. They are a really simple design that works well.
My biggest piece of advice would be to run the drain to a waste container and then have the air feed coming from there. No smells and I've found it makes the skimmer less sensitive.
The first pic is of the head removed after experimenting with tuning the unit to run for longer between cleans. You can tune them to run for around two weeks if you want.
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss357/rosscopeco/IMAG0192.jpg

The second pic shows the drain and air line.
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss357/rosscopeco/IMAG0211.jpg

artilespm
05/26/2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the reply and especially for the pics you posted. I makes a big difference in making my decision. I also like the makeshift waste collection system you created. It beats spending all that cash for a smaller unit. Thanks again.

Rosscopeco
05/26/2012, 09:47 PM
No problems.

The waste collector also shuts down foam production if it overfills. The connections are air tight and the air supply stops when the skimmate hits the inlet in the container. Works a treat when you're dialling it in.

artilespm
06/19/2012, 06:07 PM
Meant to come back earlier for this question Rosscopeco. Where did you get that collection container?

Rosscopeco
06/20/2012, 04:52 AM
It's just a 5 liter ( whatever in US gallons?) water container from the local equivelent to Home Depot. People use them for camping and things like that normally and they are pretty cheap to buy.
The best feature is that they are slim and modular in design with marked volume graduations on the side. I have a row of them hooked up to the dosing pumps as well.