PDA

View Full Version : Quarintine question

Vince272992
05/26/2012, 09:58 PM
Hi so I just set up a 20gal QT system that has been sitting around for about 3 months and anyway I'm probably going to put my new mckoskers flasher wrasse in there tomorrow and I used about 16 gallons of my old tank water from my 65gal and the other 4 gal was brand new water. I have 2HOB filters a 200watt heater and a 700gal per hour power head and PVC pipe in there so my question is will it be ready for the fish tomorrow and also i have about 2-3lbs if live rock in there to try and stop a cycle from happening but do I need it. Any other pointers or info I could use would be great
THANKS

kelrn98
05/27/2012, 01:45 AM
Ammonia will potentially be a problem. Be prepared to check ammonia daily and/or use ammonia alert (which are not 100% accurate). Be ready to perform large (50-100%) water changes in event of ammonia spikes. I use a HOB filter or media reactor in my display sump to seed future media and filters for QT HOB filter. I personally have found a little fishies reactor w/ some poly and chemi pure keeps ammonia lower than HOB, but i use HOB too. also need to have on hand some form of emergency ammonia lock such as AmQuel ?sp in the event ammonia spikes high. Keep excess food and detrius syphoned from bottom of tank. These are just my experiences, others may differ.

MrTuskfish
05/27/2012, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by using LR to try to stop a cycle. Ammonia is going to show up; maybe you want the LR to deal with the ammonia? If so, 2-3 # probably isn't enough and LR (or substrate) isn't a good idea in a QT because it can absorb any meds. Like kelrn98 said above; plan plenty of WCs. Also, the ammonia-neutralizers do work; but are deadly if you mix them with copper and copper is often needed in a QT. If you have some filter media that has been in your DT a while, it should be seeded with enough bacteria to control ammonia if you use it in the HOB filter.

Vince272992
05/27/2012, 09:03 AM
ok so no live rock...buy ammonia neutralizers and make water now so that incase of emergency im ready... and also if i do a 100% or large water change while the fish is in there will that stress him out a lot and maybe kill him could i just put him in the display if he was healthy

MrTuskfish
05/27/2012, 01:15 PM
Why do a 100% WC? IMO, fish should be in a QT for a minimum of 4 weeks, prefer longer. Appearing healthy doesn't mean much. many parasites and other diseases can take weeks to show up. Also, A QT is a quiet place where new fish can acclimate without bullies or competitors; it is not a stressful ,place for fish.