PDA

View Full Version : Chiton color

lclark209
05/27/2012, 05:38 AM
Do chitons come in a very bright purple? I actually didn't know what the heck they were but after some digging, figure they look very much like chitons, but didn't see any in the color mine are. Sorry I can't get a pic, no camera but my cellphone and it doesn't like taking nighttime tank pictures.

Timfish
05/27/2012, 09:09 AM
I've seen a few in tanks over the years and their "shell" is pretty unique. I would expect them to come in a wide range of colors and I would not be surprised to find out their coloration is influenced to some degree by what they eat but I have not looked it up on the internet.

donya
05/27/2012, 10:45 AM
Do you mean a color like purple coralline algae? If so, I have some small ones like that. If your animals are flat, slug-like, and have a series of plates on their backs, then they will be some sort of chiton regardless of the exact color. Of course some species have the plates covered and can look pretty strange, but the ones with visible plates are easiest to ID as a chiton.

pagojoe
05/30/2012, 12:27 PM
I've never seen one that was naturally purple, although they come in lots of different colors. I've seen some that were overgrown with purple coralline growth, though.

Don