PDA

View Full Version : On A New Journey, Help WithA Few Questions

krzyphsygy
05/27/2012, 07:07 AM
Ok, So this is my first time setting up a large tank. I have a 90gl that is not set up yet. I was in the process of getting things going on it. I had 2x 20 amp breakers and outlets put in and the floor tiled.
But now I have decided just to go up to my dream size and stop upgrading. So a 180 is in the mist. Here are my questions.

Tank is a 72x24x25 180gl It has two overflows.
What size pump do I need for this tank with the two overflows?
Do I need two pumps or just one?
I want to run and in sump pump, what is a good brand for larger pumps?
The two overflow thing kinda confuses me a bit.

What size sump do I need???
I have a 30gallon DIY sump I made that I have been using, is this too small?

sponger0
05/27/2012, 07:18 AM
IMO go as big as you possibly can with a sump. If it was me I would do a minimum of a 90. I like large sumps. Not to increase volume, but to hold as much as I want for the sump if needed. Such as skimmer, pump, reactors and have a large as possible can be fuge.

fazilosman
05/27/2012, 07:26 AM
I am building an identical tank right now and researched some of the same questions. Here is my analysis for your information:

1) I would expect that your two overflows are 1". If so, each could handle ~700g - 800g per hour, just using gravity and assuming some loss due to air etc. See the chart here for my background on this: http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

2) I assume your returns are 3/4" and so would handle ~1,100g/h at medium pressure.

So, on the issue of pump selection, my advice would be a total pumping volume of 2,500g/h up to 3,500g/h. Using two pumps of ~1,500g/h would be good and provide a failsafe should one fail. The only "issue" that I see is heat produced by multiple pumps. If you are planning to run a chiller then it should not be a problem.

I have exact same setup as you but with an extra 1" drain. I chose the WaterBlaster HY-16000 for my return BUT have also plumbed my BioReactor, GFO and GAC reactor using the same return pressure. I was strongly considering 2x HY-7000 but they would barely fit into my sump side by side. I also dont want to run a chiller due to space limitations.

I decided on giving the WaterBlaster a try after reading the following review here on RC: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1822299&highlight=waterblaster+hy7000

On the overflows, just try to balance them as best as possible. I am going to use gate valves on my overflows to fine tune them.

krzyphsygy
05/28/2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks fo the great information. I have decided to go with a 125 and I am going to use the Sicci 5.0 pump getting a great deal on the tank and stand. Atleast today this is what I decided...lol.

So my sump is a DIY 30 gallon, 36 long. Will this be large enough for my tank. I know the bigger the better, but will this be large enough? How much water will drain from the tank on a 125 with no power??

fazilosman
05/28/2012, 07:51 AM
Have you tried the overflow calculator on: http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/drainoverflow-size-calc

So here is the analysis for 2,500 g/h:

Using the following input parameters
Gallons per Hour = 2,500

Drain and Overflow sizes are calculated as
Recommended minimum drain pipe diameter = 2.06 inches
Recommended minimum linear overflow size = 38 inches

So, I read this as saying, you need 2x 1" drains and then a linear overflow length (overflow teeth) of at least 38". In terms of the sump, I dont see why your 30g would not surfice.

Hey also: Check out the SUMP volume calculator: http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/sump-volume

The factors to consider on the sump, is can it handle the 2,500 g/h flow through the compartments (I highly suspect it would) and does it have enough spare capacity when all pumps are turned off and everything drains to the sump?

I try to keep my sump at 1/3 capacity and thus when the power goes out, it would only fill to about 2/3. Also vital to stop any siphons that may exist here.

This is only from my experience and I am sure others also have good thoughts and advice.

fazilosman
05/28/2012, 07:56 AM
Here is an analysis of my sump expectations:

Using the following input parameters
Tank Length = 72 inches
Tank Width = 20 inches
Height of Water above Overflow = 2 inches
Flow through sump = 3000 gph

Sump volume is calculated as
Sump Volume need to handle tank overflow = 12.5 Gallons
Recommended Minimum Volume for sump = 42.5 Gallons

Voxboy
05/28/2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks fo the great information. I have decided to go with a 125 and I am going to use the Sicci 5.0 pump getting a great deal on the tank and stand. Atleast today this is what I decided...lol.

So my sump is a DIY 30 gallon, 36 long. Will this be large enough for my tank. I know the bigger the better, but will this be large enough? How much water will drain from the tank on a 125 with no power??

I have a 130 so basically the same size with a 32 gallon sump. Water draining from the tank will depend on how submersed your return is...you probably new that already. My tank drains with no power to about 2 inches from the top of my sump.

krzyphsygy
05/28/2012, 08:26 PM
I love RC, thanks for all the help guys. Yea my baffle is about 9 3/4 inches high at the highest point leaving about 7 inches of sump space for drain on a 36 long x 12deep x 16 high so 12.5 gallonn will be close less I remove the baffles I guess and start over.

I guess the real question is how much will drain into the sump. The only drainage will be the tank which I will use a check valve on and the skimmer (H&S A150). Not sure about that.

sponger0
05/28/2012, 09:26 PM
Check valves usually arent used. They do fail. Gonna have to do some math and figure out how much the tank will drain and if you have enough room during a power failure

krzyphsygy
05/28/2012, 09:50 PM
Check valves usually arent used. They do fail. Gonna have to do some math and figure out how much the tank will drain and if you have enough room during a power failure

Not really sure of the fomula....do you happen to know how to figure it out??

krzyphsygy
05/28/2012, 09:53 PM
Would anyone happen to have any photos of there plumbing on a 125? I need to get an idea of how to plumb the system also. The stand is 72 inches long and I am using one pump

Voxboy
05/28/2012, 10:25 PM
This is a diagram and it is basic. I have reactors and other things running out of the sump. I use a magdrive 1800 and overflows are rated at 1200gph. Because of obvious headroom I don't pump 1800gph back to the main display. I do have a valve on the return pump it is dialed back a bit. Again this diagram is a basic view. Works great for me. Wish I had a bigger sump though. I run a reef octopus and it is really big.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7225/7292472382_05dc63a169_c.jpg