PDA

View Full Version : Ny new Seabea

Sethjamto
05/27/2012, 10:22 AM
Well, being the new reefer and having a lck of knowledge (even after weeks and weeks of reading), I bought a Sebae the other day at my LFS. My tank has not not matured enough (learned this AFTER getting it). The first couple of days it seems to have shrank some. Yesterday it shrank a lot. I fed it some brine and it immediately curled up with it's meal for the night. Today it is fully spread out and looking MUCH better. The LFS talked me into it even though I was hesitant. I knew better....hoping for a good end result.

I'm hoping even though my tank isn't mature enough, that he will be okay. As of today he looks great. I'll keep a close eye on it though and if he starts to go downhill, I'll get him to a mature tank ASAP until mine can handle him.

Here he is the day I put him in after acclimating him.
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/sethjamto/IMAG0635.jpg

No pics of what it looked like yesterday before feeding to show how much he shrank up......but here he is now. Don't know if you can tell the difference, but it is much fuller and wider.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/sethjamto/IMAG0648.jpg

EDIT:
Just noticed I messed up the title and totally misspelled the name! Ha ha ha......but I can't edit it....One of the downfalls to an iPad. Always misspell stuff and I never realize until it's too late!

nicodim55
05/27/2012, 10:31 AM
Looks good I have the same exact one:)

Sethjamto
05/27/2012, 10:40 AM
Has yours hosted any clowns? My clowns won't acknowledge it yet. They will go near it, just not to it or in it. I'm sure they will over time though.

nicodim55
05/27/2012, 11:14 AM
Yes, my pair of pink skunk clowns hosts the one on the left side of the tank and the 3 amigos (true percs) hosts the one on the right side. Yeah it took my percs a while to associate with it just be patient;)

Seahorse NJRC
05/27/2012, 11:48 AM
The nem looks pretty good. It has more color than mine did when I got it. What type of lighting do you have?

Sethjamto
05/27/2012, 01:40 PM
Just the stock Oceanic Biocube lighting for now. Looking into upgrading soon though.

It does have great colors. Hoping that means good things!

MorganlovesNemo
05/27/2012, 01:48 PM
Yea same thing how long did it take for the clown fish to adapt to the anemone. I have ocellaris clown fish (2). we got them Friday, May 25,2012. not even looking interested in the anemone yet.

Sethjamto
05/28/2012, 06:34 PM
Well, I'm still hit or miss on the size of my nem each day....right now it is shrunk up pretty good. I turned the day white lights off about an hour ago and have the actinic lights on for the next hour or so. I'm currently doing daily feeding of krill and today it excreted some krill shell, so I feel as though this is progress. When it is full and open, the colors are great.

I'm hoping time will tell. All water paramters are in check and I plan on doing a water change in the next few days max. It also looks like it's mouth is open at times. Is this more a sign of stress or hunger?

nicodim55
05/28/2012, 07:21 PM
Well, I'm still hit or miss on the size of my nem each day....right now it is shrunk up pretty good. I turned the day white lights off about an hour ago and have the actinic lights on for the next hour or so. I'm currently doing daily feeding of krill and today it excreted some krill shell, so I feel as though this is progress. When it is full and open, the colors are great.

I'm hoping time will tell. All water paramters are in check and I plan on doing a water change in the next few days max. It also looks like it's mouth is open at times. Is this more a sign of stress or hunger?

I wouldn't do daily feeding though. I only feed mine once a week if that.

Sethjamto
05/28/2012, 07:52 PM
I've read mltiple times to go daily or every other day when first putting them in the tank. Should I back off?

Any other thoughts? He has been completely deflated for a couple hours now....hoping to see better things in the morning when I get up.

Seahorse NJRC
05/28/2012, 07:58 PM
I rarely feed my sebae. I would look into upgrading the lighting sooner than later.

rhdoug
05/28/2012, 09:26 PM
Yours doesn't look bleached, most new ones do, so that is why most new owners are encouraged to feed heavily in the beginning. Small daily feedings are ok, every other day may be better. The flow should be blowing its tentacles about gently to moderately. They can change their size/shape pretty drastically, especially when bothered or acclimating to new conditions. The open mouth is not especially good to see, has nothing to do with hunger as far as I know. They do open their mouths during feeding -- it can look kinda...disturbing. Good luck with it, from the pics it looks pretty healthy.

Sethjamto
05/29/2012, 05:27 AM
Thanks guys. He looks beautiful this morning when I got up. Maybe I'll adjust the flor onto him a little more thismafternoon after work. It is very slight right now on him to bare move his tentacles around. Thanks for the hope and advice!

Sethjamto
05/29/2012, 02:34 PM
Just got home from work.....my nem is partially deflated(hard to see in this pic).

Thoughts? Also, i'm noticing green algea starting to for on just the glass. I know this is fairly normal and I plan on getting a magnetic cleaner my next trip to the LFS.....this wouldn't have anything to do with the nem deflating often, would it? I'm doing a 20% water change this evening as soon as I get the new SW up to temp.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/sethjamto/IMAG0662.jpg

nicodim55
05/29/2012, 02:57 PM
I don't know if I asked u this before but how long has the tank been set up? The reason I'm asking is coz nems usually aren't recommended for tanks 6 mos or less. Looking at your rocks they look pretty clean. Unless u clean your tank all the time;)

Sethjamto
05/29/2012, 03:06 PM
I thought I said in the beginning but maybe not. My tank is only a couple weeks old. Yes, I know I know.....I've since learned that I shouldn't have gotten the nem yet, but the LFS talked me into it saying the tank was fine. The bottom line is I messed up and want to do my best to fix it. I'm tempted to return then for a loss of money just to let it live, unless ya'll can think I can do it.

Don't beat me up....hindsight is 20/20 and I've since learned.

Question though....even though my parameters are good, what does a mature tank have over mine that makes it safer for a nem?

Recommendations?

Daniel62
05/29/2012, 09:12 PM
Stable water chemistry

nicodim55
05/29/2012, 11:34 PM
I thought I said in the beginning but maybe not. My tank is only a couple weeks old. Yes, I know I know.....I've since learned that I shouldn't have gotten the nem yet, but the LFS talked me into it saying the tank was fine. The bottom line is I messed up and want to do my best to fix it. I'm tempted to return then for a loss of money just to let it live, unless ya'll can think I can do it.

Don't beat me up....hindsight is 20/20 and I've since learned.

Question though....even though my parameters are good, what does a mature tank have over mine that makes it safer for a nem?

Recommendations?

A couple of week old tank is not cycled completely. Your params are showing good because it's in the process of cycling. It usually takes 30 days for it to go through the cycle. Guys correct me if I'm wrong here.:hmm6:

Sethjamto
05/30/2012, 05:33 AM
I did a 20% water change last night and redirected the flow in the tank. The nem looked great this morning when I got up. Crossing my fingers!

kissman
05/30/2012, 05:53 AM
A couple of week old tank is not cycled completely. Your params are showing good because it's in the process of cycling. It usually takes 30 days for it to go through the cycle. Guys correct me if I'm wrong here.:hmm6:

you are correct a cycle can take upto 8 weeks!

Anemones should be placed in a well balanced aquarium with proper parameters have you tested calcium, alk and mag, in an aged aqaurium the parameters are steady. Seabea's are beautiful and happen to be the hardest to keep alive. What size tank do you have what lights do you have? they demand a lot of light like 6-10w per gallon.

BMW1600
05/30/2012, 08:34 AM
Yours looks _fantastic_ compared to mine. I'm an idiot noob who bought a "beautiful" bleached white sebae only to learn after the fact that they are tough to care for and that white is bad.

There have been about three times now where I was CERTAIN mine was dead, but it's holding on how that I have the water back under control.

Mine shrinks to probably 1/5 its "inflated" size and it looks like it's had the radish, then will pop right back up.

Sethjamto
05/30/2012, 04:32 PM
After last night's water change (20%), the nem is doing outstanding! Full and looking great all day long!

Sethjamto
05/30/2012, 04:33 PM
you are correct a cycle can take upto 8 weeks!

Anemones should be placed in a well balanced aquarium with proper parameters have you tested calcium, alk and mag, in an aged aqaurium the parameters are steady. Seabea's are beautiful and happen to be the hardest to keep alive. What size tank do you have what lights do you have? they demand a lot of light like 6-10w per gallon.

29 Biocube (it's in my signature...) with stock lighting. I intend to upgrade to T5 real soon to help in that department.

Faye
05/30/2012, 04:42 PM
29 Biocube (it's in my signature...) with stock lighting. I intend to upgrade to T5 real soon to help in that department.

That anemone is never going to survive under that stock lighting. Also, there are no skimmers on that biocube. I would return it. Had you set up a tank with the proper equipment I'd of told you to go for it since it looks healthy. But your tank is totally unprepared and to small for a sebae.

Sethjamto
05/30/2012, 06:06 PM
I do have a skimmer running in chamber 1...and, as stated, am upgrading to T5s.

Thanks for your advise though....

kissman
05/30/2012, 06:28 PM
T5's would be great. When i was researching anemones before I bought my light i learned they like 5-10w per gallon. I am right at 6w a gallon on a 55g and my BTA loves it! I actually have 324w over my 55g. Which is 5.9w a gallon.

Sethjamto
05/30/2012, 07:14 PM
I've been doing some reading on these LEDs too as I can integrate them into my current hood withouh having to remove the hood and go with a hanging fixture. I much prefer the stock hood. Would adding these LEDs be beneficial or just look cool. I'm looking for beneficial over good looks so they will help my nem and future corals.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21598

Saltwaternooby
05/30/2012, 08:48 PM
No not for what you need. You need a t5 system or look into a Biocube LED retrofit. Also a 28 is too small for a sebae, mine was 14"+ in diameter when i got rid of it. Also what are your water parameters since it has been set up such a short time.

Tmoriarty
05/30/2012, 09:01 PM
Ignore the Watts per gallon rule, its a horrible way to judge your lighting. There are far to many variables in lights to use that rule. t5's/LEDS/Halides all have different efficiency and you may require more watts of one or less of another.

Also there are many other factors, IE tank depth/light height over tank.

nicodim55
05/31/2012, 12:52 AM
Basically, I think I can speak for everyone here that has commented and offered advice on your thread is that your 29 cube is way too small for a sebae. I think the best advice someone has given is return it. Maybe later on when your tank is fully matured you can get another anemone maybe a GBTA or RBTA. Good luck and hope you don't take any offense in what I have said as well as other members;)

kissman
05/31/2012, 05:55 AM
Ignore the Watts per gallon rule, its a horrible way to judge your lighting. There are far to many variables in lights to use that rule. t5's/LEDS/Halides all have different efficiency and you may require more watts of one or less of another.

Also there are many other factors, IE tank depth/light height over tank.

There can be a lot of factors but the watt per gallon worked for me, and my BTA bubbles up nice, and never hides, moves, etc...always looks healthy

garygb
05/31/2012, 09:53 AM
Hi Seth, very nice looking H. crispa. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the tank being 29 gallons yet. Although H. crispa get large, currently your anemone isn't that big, therefore it's not anymore of a concern being in a 29 gallon than if it were another species with the same body mass. As you know, a bigger concern is that the tank is new. Keeping the water parameters in check is of paramount importance. And I agree with others about the T-5s being a good choice. I have an H. crispa under T-5s and it loves them.

Sethjamto
05/31/2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys. All advice has been heard and I appreciate. I am going to push forward with keeping him for now. He looks better and better every day! I know size will be an issue some day, but that will be a perfect excuse to the big tank my whole family wants!

I am watching parameters and the nem's condition nonstop. I will not let it get bad....he will be removed well before that if need be, but as stated, he is thriving right now! More pics to come soon.

Sethjamto
05/31/2012, 04:44 PM
Pic is from my phone.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/sethjamto/IMAG0669.jpg
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/sethjamto/IMAG0668.jpg

Tmoriarty
05/31/2012, 07:37 PM
There can be a lot of factors but the watt per gallon worked for me, and my BTA bubbles up nice, and never hides, moves, etc...always looks healthy

The problem with it is it is very misleading, for example, I have 750w of MH on my 203g Reef tank. That comes out to less than 4 watts per gallon yet I keep some demmanding SPS 16 inches deep in the tank. I also keep H. Magnifica's in my tank with out incident so far. In the same tank I keep Mini-maxi's (Tapetum?) at 28 inches below the water surface, they grow and split regularly.

There are far to many factors to go by that rule as it is rather outdated. You do have plenty of light for your application but he may require more or less light depending on many variables.

I agree with Gary, as long as it is he size it is you should be ok, keep an eye on it and just realize the larger it gets the more detrimental it would be to your tank if it crashed.

Sethjamto
05/31/2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks for help guys! I added a small frogspawn today too. You can see it to the left in the pics above. I think the distance is good for his sweeper, but I'll keep an eye on it and move if needed.

My wife and I saw a sweet 75g setup today at the LFS set with sump and most accessories...made us drool!

bradam
05/31/2012, 09:47 PM
It'll look like this one eventually

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m183/ark79infl/DSC_0986crop.jpg

Keep in mind mines over a foot wide, which would take up 87.2642% of the biocube bottom. Once it gets settled and if you keep the param's up it'll grow like mad once established. I swear mine went from 8 inch across to 12 randomly one night.

Sethjamto
06/05/2012, 05:41 AM
Well.....its been about 10 days and the nem is doing awesome! I'll try to get new pics this afternoon when the lights are on. He is twice the size of when I first got him and real happy looking all the time now! I know I'll have to get rid of him someday due to size, but he has a great home in the meantime!

Sethjamto
06/30/2012, 10:53 AM
Here it is a month later! Doing GREAT as you can see from the before and now pics. It is also osting my pair of Ocellaris Clowns now too!

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/sethjamto/IMAG0849.jpg

garygb
06/30/2012, 05:27 PM
Looking all settled in. Very nice!

Sethjamto
01/05/2013, 12:00 PM
I forgot about this thread. I moved him to my 90g back in September and it is huge and healthy now. Probably 12-14" and is the home to my clowns.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/sethjamto/40D17C69-BB24-4651-86D8-649DB3A25848-3139-000001B811EAA7E7.jpg

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/sethjamto/07E69F70-61E5-401F-B624-181EFEC9AFBC-1137-000000724341DEA2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

kissman
01/05/2013, 12:19 PM
Nice job! Looking good!

garygb
01/05/2013, 03:59 PM
Looks beautiful.

Sethjamto
01/06/2013, 04:26 PM
Another pic from today.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/sethjamto/40869bbdca83b0b9af941bc9a4046011.jpg