PDA

View Full Version : set up 'outside'?

dwd5813
05/28/2012, 09:55 AM
Hi,

I've got a new set of rodi filters on the way to me at my new place and while I wait I've been scoping out the possible locations for the unit. On the lanai (floridian for porch) there is a water faucet which a hose would attach to. I'm thinking that if I set up out there I could have a nice water station within reasonable distance to the tank that wouldn't be in the way of normal activity inside the house.

The hesitation though is that this is Florida and there can be some extreme temperatures around here. What if any concerns would you have about leaving the system (particularly the membrane) exposed to temperature swings including above 100 some months and below 40 some months. The water temp during operation would not be that high but I'm concerned about the temps possible for the water inside the unit after shutoff in between uses.

Should I make other plans?

Buckeye Hydro
05/28/2012, 10:28 AM
If possible, yes - I'd put it in a conditioned (A/C & Heat) space.

If it ever freezes outside, you'll ruin it. Cold temperatures (granted that the water temperature might be higher than the air temp.) will slow production and send a greater proportion of the feedwater to drain.

In the summer, in those periods between uses, you'll have everything beyond the carbon block stewing in warm/hot dechlorinted water. Perfect conditions to incubate microbial nasties.

Russ

dwd5813
05/28/2012, 10:39 AM
yeah that's what i was afraid of, i guess i just needed to throw the question out there to get confirmation. thanks for letting me bounce the idea off you.