PDA

View Full Version : Shell rot.

Ripped Tide
05/28/2012, 11:10 AM
I am relatively new to keeping mantis shrimp, and after browsing this forum, I've seen a few of you referance shell rot. What causes it? What are good preventative measures to take? If it does occur, how do you trest it? I want to make sure that my mantis and all the larva I am raising have a healthy life.

Jarmen
05/28/2012, 11:18 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1916172

Apparently there is no one cause, but the Dr. Caldwell talks about it a bit here. There's a few other good threads but I guess I did not bookmark them.

Jason

Bluemon
05/28/2012, 12:30 PM
i'd say, dont worry about it. from the looks of your other thread, the mantis looks like a wenneare, virdis, oesterdii, smithii- whatever it is, it is for sure a small variant that are tolerant of high level lighting.

shell rot is very rare in smaller animals and especially in females.

Ripped Tide
05/28/2012, 03:14 PM
i'd say, dont worry about it. from the looks of your other thread, the mantis looks like a wenneare, virdis, oesterdii, smithii- whatever it is, it is for sure a small variant that are tolerant of high level lighting.

shell rot is very rare in smaller animals and especially in females.

Thanks, I won't sweat it then. I do not plan on using any lighting, and the only one I do use is a small led flashlight when feeding and viewing.

Ripped Tide
05/28/2012, 03:19 PM
I'm now thinking more like oesterdii. She has the small black speckles and and same eyes that I've seen in a few pics.