PDA

View Full Version : Wavebox 6212 noise

Hermannsae
05/28/2012, 11:12 AM
I just installed my Wavebox (type 6212) and I was wondering if the noise is normal (it is not sucking air)? I believe somebody described it as listing to Darth Vader, when he is breathing.
I was checking the pump without the “enclosure” and it was dead silent. Therefore, I am assuming that the noise is coming from the resonance of the Wavebox.
My whole system is very quiet, it just this disturbing noise from the Wavebox. BTW, I am using two magnets to hold the Wavebox in place. The Wavebox is not touching the glass. I used some fomstrips to separate the box from the glass.
Did somebody make a similar experience? If so, is there a way to reduce the noise-level without reducing the pump performance (speed control)?
Thankfully the whole set-up is in a dedicated fish-room and you don’t hear much outside of it, but still …. otherwise it works perfectly!

Thanks in advance!

rvitko
05/28/2012, 11:23 AM
The breathing noise is normal as the box is drawing in air when the pump runs, removing the lid can reduce it, however you then have to be careful of algae growing inside the box and jamming the pump. Also, make sure the foam sponge is wrapped around the motor, this is to dampen the vibration against the box.

Hermannsae
05/28/2012, 12:05 PM
Roger, thanks for the quick response. Appreciated!
Everything is like it should be. The foam sponge is wrapped around the motor and the motor is in the correct orientation and the O-ring is in place.
I guess, that is the noise I have to live with. BTW, there is no difference in noise level if I am removing the lid.

Hermann

rvitko
05/29/2012, 08:47 AM
The darth vader noise is normal, but if it is more than that we should look into it. Any background might help (age would be a big help as well as if the drive unit has been changed recently) 6212 was made from late 2004- early 2009.

Hermannsae
05/29/2012, 10:41 AM
I bought the wavebox approx. 4 years ago. I never changed the drive unit because this is actually the first time I am using the wavebox in my new 180g tank.

rvitko
05/29/2012, 12:06 PM
Since it is essentially new, I think it will quiet down a great deal over the next two weeks as parts wear in.

Hermannsae
05/29/2012, 12:16 PM
I will keep you updated!

Thanks Roger

Hermannsae
06/02/2012, 06:15 AM
Roger, FYI, I did quiet dow a little bit. Thanks again!

Mekanic
06/02/2012, 09:08 AM
My 6212 does the vader noise as well. with your ear to it you can hear a little vibration of the pump as well, changing max power had no effect on vader noise level.

Mine had the top with 8 slits in the frontmost section, then the middle and back have none. The nre top I saw on the site has a ton more slits in it, I wonder if it would be an improvement

Hermannsae
06/03/2012, 06:47 PM
I don't know. Maybe Roger has an answer? There must be a reason for, otherwise Tunze hadn't done it. Did you hear the new one in operation?

rvitko
06/04/2012, 09:00 AM
It would probably help a bit, the first 6212's from 2004 had 1/3rd the slits and we added more to quiet the noise.