PDA

View Full Version : DIY LED's, I have a few questions...

Doahh
05/28/2012, 04:20 PM
So I have a 90 gallon tank, 36x30 footprint and 19" deep.
I'm looking at doing another LED DIY like I did a couple years back with my Dads office tank. It is an 8 gallon Biocube and we used 16 LED's over it, Cree white, and Royal Blue. I know that that was overkill but hey, it grows SPS like crazy.

My main focus on the 90 will be SPS.

I am trying to plan an LED setup for my 90, and I am kinda stuck in a few places. As far as number of LED's I'm pretty set at 48 because that's in my price point. I want to set it up in two pendants each 6x9 or so because that's what Rapid LED sells now. I want to lay it out like an AI SOL fixture with sets of pods, 8 3LED Pods on each pendant.
Is the 6x9 long enough for me to do this and get my 30" required front to back coverage or should I step up to the 6x20?
Should I use 60 or 80 degree optics?
My next question regards the mixture of LEDs. I would like to get a nice full spectrum with a more crisp white look.
I have planned
(1:1):1:1
(Neutral White : Cool White) : Royal Blue : Blue
4,4,8,8 per pendant

I have 3 drivers per pendant, so white, blue, and royal blue are all controlled separately by my Profilux.

In addition to all this I will have 2 cool whites per pendant as moonlights, with no lenses, run off of rapidleds moonlight driver.

How does this all look? Am I missing anything? I would also like to build a third pendant identical to the above for my Dads 30 gallon oceanic, it's something like 20 wide x 18 deep x 21 high. I could probably cut down the heatsink to 18" so it'll fit better, but this depends on what you guys think of it needing as far as optics and if it's enough/too much light. If this is all good to go I'll make sure to document everything as I build my pendants and take a bunch of pictures of my tank before/after.
Thanks!

Doahh
05/29/2012, 02:49 PM
Anyone?

Not even a "this is dumb, do it right"?

ghellin
05/29/2012, 11:27 PM
The XPG whites at 350mA on the moonlight driver will be very bright I was growing SPS on my sandbed with 6 XPGs @ 350mA in my 58.

icecool217
05/30/2012, 01:38 AM
Have you thought about putting in a string of true violet LED? Spectrum peaks at 420nm which would maximize growth.

kentuckyclowns
05/30/2012, 08:15 AM
At about 19" deep, be careful with the optics. I'm sure the light intensity will be fine but the "pods" setup might give you a spotlight effect as opposed to coverage if you go with a narrow optic. You could always mix and match too. Have a couple LEDs with 60 degrees and one with 80.

I strongly recommend dimmable drivers as it looks like you are planning on doing. I love having the ability to fine tune the colors.

Doahh
05/30/2012, 08:30 PM
My original plan was to go with all 80 degree optics, but I thought that might have been too wide. Good to know it's not.

As far as violet and UV LEDs I haven't seen enough proof yet that they even make that much of a difference and to get even a little visible effect you need quite a few.

Doahh
05/30/2012, 08:31 PM
My original plan was to go with all 80 degree optics, but I thought that might have been too wide. Good to know it's not.

As far as violet and UV LEDs I haven't seen enough proof yet that they even make that much of a difference and to get even a little visible effect you need quite a few.

dunc101
05/31/2012, 02:49 PM
How far above the water line are you going to be placing the fixture? You will need 2 6 x 9's or 1 6 x 20. 1 - 6 x 9 heat sink can only hold 24 LED's. I have 3 6 x 9's over my standard 90 which is 48. I have mine mounted 6 inches above the water with no optics.

I think the standard is around:
8-10 inches above water line = 80 degree optics
10-14 = 60 degree
> 14 = 40 or less