PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to establish biological filter w/o any existing tank media.

Reefahholic
05/28/2012, 09:14 PM
Just moved recently and do not have any tanks set up yet, and was wondering about the fastest way to establish good biological filter starting from scratch.

I'm fixing to launch my QT into action (29/G with AquaClear 70) and would like to reduce ammonia spikes and reduce the amount of water changes. I'm sure I'll be doing a lot (1 a day or 2-3 days) for awhile.

Tank is blacked out on back and bottom. Probably gonna black out sides with dark poster board instead of paint. Got and ammonia badge coming along with some PVC fittings for the fish to hide in.

I've heard a lot of ways, but what is the best or fastest way?

Any suggestions or thoughts....I need all the experience I can get. Don't want my first fish to die. Would like to get it cycled so it can stay set up for a while. I plan on adding six fish slowly in the next eight months.

TheAquatard
05/28/2012, 10:52 PM
Dr Tims one and only seems to get a lot of good reviews

brandon429
05/28/2012, 10:56 PM
Go to lfs get any old filter pad they are about to toss

Reefahholic
05/28/2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking about trying Dr. Tims. Alot of people seem to be having good luck with it.

I didn't think about asking my LFS for some media. That sounds easy and fast. Thanks...