PDA

View Full Version : Rock Base????

ADMReef
05/29/2012, 09:42 PM
As I read the posts, I see you shouldn't put rock on sand. Can you tell me if putting rock on the white plastic egg crate material is desired, then put sand over the egg crate material? I am concerned that the sand would blow away from the egg crate exposing it, which would drive me NUTS. Opinions wanted please.

ItzJustinN
05/29/2012, 09:56 PM
plastic eggcrate is fine. if ur worried about it being exposed, go with a coarser sand. definately not find sand. or you could always just stack them on the glass

thegrun
05/30/2012, 07:13 AM
+1, the main purpose for the egg crate is to help anchor the rock in place. Rock set directly on the glass has a tendency to shift over time due to uneven pressure put on it from shifting sand, fish burrowing and the weight of rock stacked on top of the bottom rocks. The egg crate will also help soften the blow if a rock landslide were to occur, but securing the rock is its main function.

MaxxedMan
05/30/2012, 07:43 AM
If you use eggcrate, 50% of the people will agree (they worry about rocks shifting)
If you put rock on glass, 50% of people will agree (they worry about burrowing creatures)
If you put your rock on the top of your sand, 100% of people will disagree (because it won't stay there for long)

bnumair
05/30/2012, 07:47 AM
go with coarser sand or if using fine sand go deeper sand bed.

Clay4AU
05/30/2012, 07:48 AM
Just put the eggcrate under where you will have rock or use starboard.

ItzJustinN
05/30/2012, 09:07 AM
if you use eggcrate, 50% of the people will agree (they worry about rocks shifting)
if you put rock on glass, 50% of people will agree (they worry about burrowing creatures)
if you put your rock on the top of your sand, 100% of people will disagree (because it won't stay there for long)

+1