PDA

View Full Version : plumbing ADVICE refugium planted display

mtcoins123
05/30/2012, 11:18 PM
so i am wondering if anyone has used loc line in the bottom of their tank for a return i have plans to set this tank next to my 365 dt and plumb it for a center overflow and four small loc line return jets around the base of the overflow about 5 inches from the bottom (room for thick sand bed) and i want to make this a slow moving refugium type dt for breeding and possibly some seahorses i am concerned about check valves for the returns and would like to find a way to acomp. four jets with one drilled hole?? any good advice?

Playa-1
05/31/2012, 12:53 AM
check valves and salt water tanks are a bad Idea and i recommend that you loose the check valve idea.

My advise would be to use a separate pump for the loc lines and run a closed loop circulation system. That way you don't have issues with backflow and siphoning when the power is off to the pump. The sump pump will be on a separate loop and be plumbed to discharge the sump return water just below the waterline of the DT.

Andrew17030
05/31/2012, 12:55 AM
Lock line is not water tight, I am a little unclear how you want to use the lock line in the bottom of the tank, but, if is is anywhere out of the water you will have a problem. If you are looking for flexibility, look at spa flex or flex pvc.

Mikey912
05/31/2012, 01:00 AM
Spalex

Donkeykong
05/31/2012, 08:53 AM
You will get both side of the argument on whether check valves work, one thing that is common is that everybody who says yes to check valves will tell you regular maintenance is key. Since your returns will be SOOOO low how would you ever be able to remove the check valve for maintenance? You would have to find a way to cap the return pipes before you were able to remove the check valve. I am guessing that will not be an easy task since it will be at the bottom of the tank, best bet is to have the return just below the water level and either create a closed loop down low or run small power heads down at the bottom.

India
08/07/2012, 07:06 PM
Just a thought: a seahorse might be very happy in your refugium, but they can certainly ruin your pod production...I think a refugium is a place that protects a breeding population of pods from critters like seahorses...and lets them eat the overflow...perhaps there could be a little refugium within the refugium!