PDA

View Full Version : GARF bonzia lives

drtrash
05/31/2012, 07:21 AM
I lost a :bdaysmile:colony (tennis ball size) 6-8 months back, finally cut out skeleton a couple of months ago and no color, polps... Then I started too see a few green polps sprouted then a few more, now a purple nub. Very strange. After giving up on sps I let alk & ca fluctuate... garf weed is back.

jnc914
05/31/2012, 08:23 AM
I hate to admit this, but when I was really obsessed with testing my water parameters, I would still lose a coral to RTN/STN every once and a while. Now, due to my schedule being busier, I have less time to test all the time and my coral are growing like weeds. A more laid back approach to reef keeping has yielded better results, at least in the short term. I am certainly not condoning neglecting your corals, but at least in my case, they are thriving with my current approach.

OneReef
05/31/2012, 08:46 AM
I test my water parameters every 2 months or so. I hardly ever test and I have mostly SPS. I am not advocating not testing, but I think when you get your tank automated and stable, and have kept coral long enough, you can tell if something is off by just looking at your tank... At least thats what works for me.

myzislow
05/31/2012, 11:00 AM
I test my water parameters every 2 months or so. I hardly ever test and I have mostly SPS. I am not advocating not testing, but I think when you get your tank automated and stable, and have kept coral long enough, you can tell if something is off by just looking at your tank... At least thats what works for me.

Yeah, I pretty much subscribe to the same methodology. However, the other day I tested my tank after quite some time, and got some pretty low level results, and my tank at the time was doing awesome, or so I thought.

Alk: 6
Ca:360
Mg: 1300

As you can see the numbers were a little low, albeit stable, but too low for my liking. I added a few minutes to the dosers and slowly brought up my levels over the course of this past week and things are looking better than ever.

I will def. be testing my tank on a more regular basis.