PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Skimmer Odor for large Systems

newtank
05/31/2012, 08:17 AM
Specifically interested in how others have delt with large skimmer odor. I have recently installed a Orca 250 Pro after going skimmerless for years. I do not have a fish room, I instead have a semi built in wall for my 7 foot tank in the center of a 16 foot wall with floor to ceiling cabinets for equipment. This means the skimmer is enclosed, with some slight air flow. It seams that the odor is not so much from the skimmate overflow jug, I have about 1 inch of bleach in the container, but more from the earthy smell coming from the popping bubbles in the collection cup. This skimmer holds over 5 gallons of water and its about a 345 gallon system with about 400 pounds of rock. There has always been a distinctive smell from the tank in the room, but it was never bad, I kind of liked the scent of a healthy system, but the skimmer odor is a bit much, especially when you can smell it with the cabinet doors shut. I dont want to cover it up with air fresheners, Thinking of maybe charcole blocks like you would grill with? I keep a box of baking soda open in there, but doesnt seem to be enough. Venting to the outside isnt really an option. So has anyone else had the same issue, and if so how did you resolve it?

thanks!

sirreal63
05/31/2012, 08:51 AM
Over the years I have seen more bags of carbon on top of skimmer lids than any other method. Avoid air fresheners, the skimmer will pull the cover up scent into the tank water, but I have put dryer sheets in the stand before and had no issues from it, but it also doesn't help greatly either.

gcarroll
05/31/2012, 09:04 AM
Sprinkle some kalkwasser in the cup each time after you clean it. It will raise the PH of the skimmate and you won't have the stench.

wildman926
05/31/2012, 10:00 AM
bags of carbon on top of skimmer lids.

X2 - the amount of the smell is minute as compared to what the carbon can absorb, so the carbon would last a very long time. I know mine does on the waste collector. Easy fix. :thumbsup: