PDA

View Full Version : Fungia Plate Problems

agruetz
05/31/2012, 11:30 AM
OK, So I have had a fungia plate for about 6 months now up until today it has been doing really well. When I inspected the tank today it had tissue loss and exposed skeleton.

Tank Parameters are located here. http://www.aquaticlog.com/showcase/dashboard?aquariumId=333

I will try to get a picture up tonight. Everything else in the tank is doing just fine. I took it out and did a CoralRx dip for 15 min figuring maybe it was sorta of bacterial infection. Any advice is welcome.

Stylaster
05/31/2012, 05:51 PM
Plates are pretty non aggressive, anything near by to sting it?

willietang021
05/31/2012, 08:20 PM
any direct water flow hitting it straight on? any pest? Do you feed it? Feeding will makes it better sometimes.

agruetz
05/31/2012, 08:44 PM
Plates are pretty non aggressive, anything near by to sting it?

No, he sits on the sand. I am wondering if my conch ran over him and damaged him...or maybe the hermits went to town.

agruetz
05/31/2012, 08:48 PM
any direct water flow hitting it straight on? any pest? Do you feed it? Feeding will makes it better sometimes.

No direct flow. I suspected maybe a pest thus the coralRx dip. Sometimes I do sometimes I do not. I shot some roti feast his way today, did not think he would eat a chunk of fish food because of the way his mouth was looking. It has closed up considerably since I dipped him though.

willietang021
05/31/2012, 10:16 PM
sometimes the best thing to do is to not do anything. Give it a day or so to rest without us moving it might help.

agruetz
05/31/2012, 10:23 PM
Yea i think thats the best coarse of action. The other parts of it seem to be puffy and not sucked in since the CoralRx dip. I suspect maybe a bacterial issue since I did a big rock work rearrange about 3 days ago. The mouth is fully closed like normal again. Guess it is time to wait and see.

agruetz
06/04/2012, 04:57 PM
As of today after 2 separate CoralRx dips for 5 min each. I am not sure what else to do for the guy. I am not even sure what caused this. It happened pretty much over night. I have not seen any hermits or anything on it. I assumed it was bacterial. Normally it sits in the sand I moved it to the rock after I though maybe the couch trampled it.

Picture is located http://www.aquaticlog.com/showcase/dashboard?aquariumId=333.

The white you see showing is skeletal structure. And advice welcome.

robferrari
06/05/2012, 11:41 PM
Keep trying to feed it. I almost lost a fungia by never feeding it but I kept a close eye on it, kept it in one spot, and was patient with feeding it. Make sure you give it enough time to open. Mine came out of it, hope yours makes it too.

willietang021
06/06/2012, 03:52 AM
too much coral dip might not be a good thing, cause you have to lift the coral up with your hands or tools and then put it in a completely different enviorment for 5 mins. and then again back to the tank, yet another different enviorment. feeding it could help. If you cut yourself, keep dipping your wound in rubbing alcohol will not help much.

jjjaks
06/06/2012, 10:00 PM
keep a heads up on flow. I thought that i had my plates in an area of low flow and found skeleton the next day...

agruetz
06/06/2012, 10:40 PM
too much coral dip might not be a good thing, cause you have to lift the coral up with your hands or tools and then put it in a completely different enviorment for 5 mins. and then again back to the tank, yet another different enviorment. feeding it could help. If you cut yourself, keep dipping your wound in rubbing alcohol will not help much.

I only dipped it again because I thought it was a bacterial infection and the remaining tentacle's were sucked back in. The first dip seemed to help so I figured maybe it needed another round sorta like antibiotics. Seems to be starting to do better today. Seems like tissue may be starting to regrow some. And actually a daily dip in alcohol might actually help ;) to keep a bacterial infection away ;).

agruetz
06/06/2012, 10:41 PM
keep a heads up on flow. I thought that i had my plates in an area of low flow and found skeleton the next day...

Definitely was not flow, he had been in the same place for months.

agruetz
06/18/2012, 09:01 PM
Sigh, I had to go out of town for work and well...my fish sitter (my female) did not bother to tell me my tank was looking "strange" for two days...nitrates had spiked to 40ppm and pushed my recovering fungia plate to the big fish tank in the sky.... =-(. It has been horrible month....anemone, fungia plate....lettuce sea slug.....