PDA

View Full Version : when to move frags from rack to Rock

bwig333
05/31/2012, 02:22 PM
I have about 7 different acros/millis each about 1-2 inch frags. They are all sitting on my frag rack right now. they have been in the tank for about one month. Minimal polyp extension, but are encrusting the plug. What is a good rule of thumb to use for moving them from the rack and then placing them on the rock? I will be using marine epoxy as well as super glue to attach them to my rock. 90g bowfront tank with 42 leds: 21 3w royal blues, and 21 3w neutral whites. I would say that my flow is on the low end with 2 hydor 2's as well as my return pump which is a quiet1 4000.

bwig333
06/03/2012, 11:20 AM
bump... Should I wait for polyp extension? encrusting plug? or just whenever?

Alkamist
06/03/2012, 11:42 AM
i move mine after a few weeks, once they adjust to my tank. Then i start them off on the sand bed and slowly move them up the rocks till i get them where i want them.

consumed corals
06/03/2012, 11:51 AM
I would try them in different spots before you glue just in case they are not happy
After you place them sit back and look if you like there positions alot of times they will grow with the flow and make sure you have room between you don't want to start any wars!

OneReef
06/03/2012, 11:51 AM
Frag rack? Don't take this wrong cause it is just my personal view on aesthetics, but frag racks in reef tanks look terrible. I would break the frags off the plugs and super glue gel them onto the rocks. If you want to move them, the gel will allow them to break off fairly easily. But the glue is strong enough to withstand flow and crabs/snail. Will allow you to move them if unhappy, till they find a good spot and start encrusting. When I buy a frag, i dip it, and then glue it onto the rock work. It looks more natural than plugs and discs, and there is no unsightly frag rack. I have never had any problems in years, just dipping and placing on rocks. Again, it is just personal opinion and taste, my thoughts are just that, my thoughts. Not everyones...ha. :)

bwig333
06/03/2012, 03:46 PM
thanks for the info guys. I agree with the aesthetics of the frag rack...Not real pretty, but was a temporary place to hold while they acclimated and I decided where I wanted them. I'm relatively new to SPS, so have you guys found that they will acclimate to most places in tank with time? I am trying real hard not to bleach these out. BTW my rock layout does not go any higher than mid tank, roughly a foot under the surface.