PDA

View Full Version : controllers

rfrain01
05/31/2012, 06:19 PM
I was wondering if a contoller is worth the expense for me, I have a light that has a build in controller so I would not need it for lighting. I guess I would only use it for water flow and for temp. I don't know much about them and unsure if I am even correct about them doing the things I listed above. If someone could help me on what a controller does and if it would be worth the expense. I am currently looking in to getting some circulation pumps and was looking at wavemakes and the wavemakes seem almosts as much as some comtrollers?
any help for this NOOB question would be great. thank you!:debi:

89Foxbody
05/31/2012, 06:26 PM
I use mine for the following:

Controls my LEDs (white, blue, moonlights), refugium light, cooling fans, powerheads, return pump, skimmer, plus has a temp probe and pH probe.

Since all my pumps are plugged into it I can put them all on standby for a set amount of time to feed my fish.

Also it controls my heater via the temp probe so if the tank gets too warm it will automatically cut power to my heater preventing it from cooking my tank. If it gets above a certain temperature, cooling fans come on to help with evaporation cooling.

You can also set it up to control an auto top off mechanism but I have a separate JBJ controller for that.

rfrain01
05/31/2012, 06:30 PM
which system do you use? I was given a JBJ ATO as a gift from a friend that I will use later but I would like it to do the skimmer the sump temp and the refugium light (never thought of that) possible PH and power heads. I was looking at the reefkeep models but haven't gone much past that.

bamf25
05/31/2012, 08:40 PM
I love my Apex, I am not sure what I would do without it. I have everything automated: lights, powerheads, dosing pumps, ato, as well as my overflow failsafes built in.

coonasssaint
05/31/2012, 08:46 PM
I say yes get a controller you won't be sorry. I will never have a tank without one again.

rfrain01
05/31/2012, 09:09 PM
Which way is the recommended apex or the reef keeper?

rfrain01
05/31/2012, 09:12 PM
Reef keeper lite basic is only $100 with free shipping on thatpetplace.com seems ver inexpensive when a basics wave controller runs $60-$80

drew2007
05/31/2012, 09:18 PM
I have the Reefkeeper lite with temp probe, ph probe. By far best piece of equipment i purchased for my tank so far. I run 2 BRS dosing pumps and my heaters on it. My lighting has its on controllers and my vortechs run wirelessly synced with each other. Worth every penny IMO

Dnastynice
05/31/2012, 09:34 PM
only thing about reefkeeper light is only 4 plugs, i have one but will be upgrading to a reefangle, includes so much, float switchs, 8 plugs, ph probe temp probe just to name a few

drew2007
05/31/2012, 09:47 PM
only thing about reefkeeper light is only 4 plugs, i have one but will be upgrading to a reefangle, includes so much, float switchs, 8 plugs, ph probe temp probe just to name a few

Why not just buy another pc4? The lite is expandable.

sammy77
06/01/2012, 05:20 AM
After doing a lot of reading and research, I decided to go with one as well. I just ordered a RKE with net for my 220gal. I've never used one or set one up before so this should be interesting.

coonasssaint
06/04/2012, 06:18 AM
After doing a lot of reading and research, I decided to go with one as well. I just ordered a RKE with net for my 220gal. I've never used one or set one up before so this should be interesting.

What made you decide on the RKE?

sammy77
06/04/2012, 06:59 AM
What made you decide on the RKE?

Basically, a lot of support for their products. I have the RKE with net module, I will be installing it this week and I was worried when I first started looking into them. There is tons of step by step instructions on youtube and on their support forum. I'm not knocking Apex,(the only other controller I considered) just seems that the RKE was a little more user friendly. I emailed Reefkeepers a few questions and got very quick replies to my questions. For someone like me who works a ton and wants a little simplified, it's worth it IMO.

rfrain01
06/04/2012, 07:15 AM
I picked up the rkl yesterday still playing with programming. It seems like a great unit so far I went with the basic just to play with it. Since I was going right now for more of a wavemaker and it was only a little bit more to get something so much more advanced. But I can see my self upgrading to one of the higher models down the road. Great piece for beginners like my self.

rfrain01
06/04/2012, 07:17 AM
Oooo and I really like the temp probe I think that is amazing for beginners set it and forget it :)

fishuntbike
06/04/2012, 07:17 AM

The RKL can accommodate 4 modules.....you can have 4 PC4 (total of 16 outlets). You can do 3 PC4 and 1 SL1 that should cover almost everything you want for a controller. Monitor pH,ORP,temp, control your lights,pumps,ATO, feeding etc.

rfrain01
06/04/2012, 07:22 AM
The RKL can accommodate 4 modules.....you can have 4 PC4 (total of 16 outlets)

Wow I didn't know this I thought it was 8 total that's amazing to know thank you since you need about 5167 outlets when you do a reef :facepalm: there was no warning for how many outlets you needed someone should write a trend :)

fishuntbike
06/04/2012, 07:34 AM
I picked up the rkl yesterday still playing with programming. It seems like a great unit so far I went with the basic just to play with it. Since I was going right now for more of a wavemaker and it was only a little bit more to get something so much more advanced. But I can see my self upgrading to one of the higher models down the road. Great piece for beginners like my self.

How many module you have now? Ive been using my RKL for atleast 5 years now and I don't think I need to upgrade to RKE. The only difference is the 4 module limit for RKL versus so much modules for RKE. So plan of what you will run on your tank. Use the software myreef to easily program everything in the RKL. Hit me a pm if you have question.