PDA

View Full Version : Started My cycle out of sequence. A little advice needed.

Empty Bottles
05/31/2012, 08:47 PM
I came across a good deal on CL and got some live rock before I had everything in the reccomended order to start cycling. Right now I have 65 lbs LR submerged in my tank with my return pump to create flow. I bought a sump second hand that I need to clean this weekend, and get the tubing for then I can complete the circuit sometime over the weekend or next week. I also don't have my base rock or sand yet, I was planning on ordering them at the end of next week(payday). I am making daily trips to the RO at Food Lion and getting 20 gallons of water at a time, I'll have the tank full in a couple of days.

I'm a little confused to when I should start checking paramaters, and a form of ammonia. Everything I add from here on out will be "dead" (base rock, dry sand and the horrible bioballs, but that's only until I can gradually replace them with rubble).

ItzJustinN
05/31/2012, 11:33 PM
the tank is new so dont worry about the "dead" stuff. if it were my tank i would check to make sure my dry rock doesnt leech phosphates (i think this is done by soaking them in rodi water and testing for phosphate over a few weeks.) if no phosphate issue add them to your tank and do your aquascaping. live rock on top. base rock on glass. then rinse your dry sand (search threads for bucket method) and add to your tank.

Empty Bottles
05/31/2012, 11:54 PM
So basically I can add a shrimp and start cycling now, or do I need to wait until I get everything going?

ReefNOOBIE21
05/31/2012, 11:58 PM
You can add it and start the cycle but it may cycle again when you add all the other stuff

Dnastynice
06/01/2012, 12:05 AM
get it all together then start your cycle, changing things when a tank is not matured can and will have more mini cycles where you lvls will spike. get it all going in the tank and go from there my .o2

rogermccray
06/01/2012, 08:28 AM
You can cycle your rock without having any equipment other than a heater and a powerhead. A lot of people cure their rock in a seperate container while they are still collecting the equipment. I would throw the shrimp in to start the cycle and test your parameters. If you the shrimp disintegrates completely then just ghost feed the tank to keep your bacteria going. Once the tank has cycled add your clean up crew and let your tank adjust to that. Then add fish 3-4 weeks apart after that (read up on QTing if you have not done that yet)

All in all you are perfectly fine having got your rock ready before you have everything you need, i did the same thing and have had no problems.

Michigan Mike
06/01/2012, 08:28 AM
Add shrimp and cleaned dry rock, there won't be a cycle from the rock because there is no die off from the rock because it's dry. after your ammo drops to zero and you get nitrates do water change and add fish slowly. You may get a small ammo spike if you add too much fish and food at once and your bacteria can't keep up with your bio load.

rogermccray
06/01/2012, 08:33 AM
Add shrimp and cleaned dry rock, there won't be a cycle from the rock because there is no die off from the rock because it's dry. after your ammo drops to zero and you get nitrates do water change and add fish slowly. You may get a small ammo spike if you add too much fish and food at once and your bacteria can't keep up with your bio load.

+1 (missed the part about base rock)

Empty Bottles
06/01/2012, 03:11 PM
Ok cool. If something funky was going to happen by completing my setup while I was cycling I was wanting to make sure Id understand what was going on. Thanks.