PDA

View Full Version : Endless streachy worms!!!

mbmikebray
06/01/2012, 07:48 AM
Since adding live rock and starting cycle a few days ago (6 days) I have been seeing long very very thin flesh/pinkish colored worm like critters, only when it is completely dark and with a flash light. I thought they were worms untill last night when I was watching them and realised they come from holes in the rock or behind rock and streach for anything up to 5,6,7 inches around the rocks, I have never seen both ends of one of these as they always come from somewhere inside or behind rock where you cannot see. They do not move freely around the rocks and tank space and when I shine the flashlight they slowly move back into hiding, sometimes there are 3 or 4 of these together and they make the rock look like minature mountains with rock climber ropes hanging together down the slopes lol. Any info would be appreciated-are they a good or bad thing for the tank? thank you. They make me think of very long streachy thin tentacles and when the light causes them to retreat its like they are being slowly wound back into the rock!!

06bug
06/01/2012, 08:09 AM
They are bristle worms which are good for your tank. They will come out at night to feed on the uneaten fish food. Yes, they do reside in your rocks.

mbmikebray
06/01/2012, 09:15 AM
Thank you, good to know. What does the other end of the worm look like?

Uncle Salty 05
06/01/2012, 09:29 AM
Unless they are fuzzy looking they are not bristle worms.
There are coutless types of marine worms. I have several different types of worms in my system and they are all harmless detritivores.
If I lay in the floor and look up at the bottom glass on my 180, it looks like a road map from all of the worm trails.

mbmikebray
06/01/2012, 02:29 PM
Unless they are fuzzy looking they are not bristle worms.
There are coutless types of marine worms. I have several different types of worms in my system and they are all harmless detritivores.
If I lay in the floor and look up at the bottom glass on my 180, it looks like a road map from all of the worm trails.

Thank you for your input, I looked on google for Spaghetti worms and they are exactly the same in their pictures, they explain that the body of the worm which normally stays out of sight can be up to 6ins long and 1in wide and the tentacles can reach up to 3ft from the body, they are also called 'Bristle' worms because the body has numerous legs/bristles. Also it says they feed on detreious and are harmless.

LitiGATOR
06/01/2012, 03:02 PM
Spionid worms? I have them too, all over coming out of small tubes made of sand.