PDA

View Full Version : 7" to shallow for refugium?

jhearnsberger
06/01/2012, 08:23 AM
Is 7" too shallow for Chaeto, Caulerpa, sand, and small live rock? I should have 25-30" x 12.5" on the bottom which would be around 10 gallons. Have skimmer on one side of the refugium and return pump on the other.

jhearnsberger
06/01/2012, 10:07 AM
bump...

jhearnsberger
06/01/2012, 12:19 PM
Why is it that you see guys doing a video really talking up a refugium then you see them a few videos later with a gfo and carbon reactor not even using the refugium anymore. That doesn't make any sense to me.

loscaer
06/01/2012, 01:29 PM
I would try and get the biggest refugium you can fit because the more water volume the better. You should probably use a protein skimmer, gfo and carbon with the refugium.

sponger0
06/01/2012, 03:42 PM
Depends on the reason for you running a fuge.

But yes a fuge is recommended to be as big as you can make it

Donkeykong
06/01/2012, 03:47 PM
It depends on how big a system it is on, if it is hooked to a 55 gallon display then 10 gallons is a decent size, if it is hooked up to 150 gallon display...maybe not. Also are you wanting a fuge for just nutrient export or also for a spot to cultivate pods. I guess I am asking what is your setup and we can give you a better answer.

jhearnsberger
06/02/2012, 07:49 AM
I just heard that a refugium is good to have. Will pods make it back in your tank even if you have a check valve on your return line?

DT is 125. Have one purple tank, two clowns, yellowtail damsel, cleaner shrimp, two serpent starfish, and some live rock. I saw a couple of you tube videos where the guys were talking up a refugium, so I thought that's what I needed. But, now I see that there is no right or wrong. It just depends on what you are wanting to do with your tank. Right?

Is a refugium more for guys who keep corals who are wanting to keep algae out of their display tank? Or if it's big enough does it serve a much greater purpose than that?

sponger0
06/02/2012, 07:53 AM
Dont use a check valve. It will most likely fail and you will have a flood.

You still havent said your reasoning for having a fuge. Based on what your reasoning is people can respond to your original question. If its just what you heard...I dont think that can suffice. Depending on what your trying to accomplish with having a fuge

jhearnsberger
06/02/2012, 08:01 AM
I just want my fish to be healthy and I would like to keep some low light corals later on. The size sump I am going to build is 40 Long 48.3" x 12.8" x 16.9". I bought acrylic to cut and mount baffles inside. Are there any filtration advantages to having a refugium vs bio balls vs bio-wheel?

Are you saying don't use the check valve? That would mean I am going to drain a good bit of water back into my sump when I kill the power wouldn't it? I was planning on installing a bulkhead and drilling a couple of small holes in the pipe that enters the tank to break the siphon. Couldn't I use both the check valve and drill the holes?

sponger0
06/02/2012, 08:09 AM
You first must understand what a fuge is and what its used for before you understand how it can benefit your system. A refugium is basically a place to put things that normally wouldnt suvive a regular tank. Such as algae or crabs that arent reef safe or a breeding ground for pods. You fuge has to be of a decent size before it benefits your tank. If used for a pod safety place, its more important to have more surface area than depth for pods to survive and reproduce. Using algaes in a fuge is so they will outcompete algae in your display.

Yes I am saying dont use a check valve. Depend on your sump having enough volume remaining to hold water that drains if power cuts off. A check valve will fail sooner or later and you will have a flood on your floor.

Avoid bioballs or wheels. Your filtration should be all natural meanign, sand rock and so on. Or at least most of it. Your skimmer will help remove waste from the water. But bioballs can cause a nitrate problem in your tank....especially if you plan on going into corals your better off without.

jhearnsberger
06/02/2012, 08:26 AM
That's good advise.

What about a filter sock? I was thinking about doing without.

sponger0
06/02/2012, 08:29 AM
My system currently doesnt use an filter socks...but I would recommend them. They help filter out particles in the water but need to be cleaned regularly or they also can create nitrate problems if not cleaned frequently enough.

My new system Im putting together will have filter socks.

jhearnsberger
06/02/2012, 08:36 AM
I've heard people say "get rid of damselfish". What do you say?

I also have two serpent starfish that a friend bought me. I told her no more surprises for the fish tank. Should I keep them or get rid of them?

sponger0
06/02/2012, 08:38 AM
People have gotten away with damsels...but it really depends on the fish in the tank, size of the tank, type of damsels, and the individual fish.

Serpent stars when they get big enough can eat fish

jhearnsberger
06/02/2012, 08:55 AM
Ok. Thanks for your help sponger0.

sponger0
06/02/2012, 09:09 AM
Your welcome

erock68
06/02/2012, 09:25 AM
It also depends on what type of skimmer, you are using. You would want it to be in at least 8"-10" of water. Which would also be the depth of your fuge.

If you are using glass dividers, that would put your pump in 7" of water and this is where you see the most evaporation. You would really have to watch so you don't get too low, in the pump section.

jhearnsberger
06/02/2012, 09:35 AM
Sponger0 - Do you recommend sand or no sand in the display tank?

sponger0
06/02/2012, 09:38 AM
I myself prefer sand as I like sand critters and also prefer a deeper sand bed and never experienced a problem with it.

Some of the livestock I like that like or require sand:
Dragonettes
Tonga Snails
Nassarius snails
Wrasses (to sleep in the sand)
Jawfish (need 4+ inch sandbed)

And I like a reef in my home to look like I just pulled it out of the ocean. It just doesnt look right without sand.

jhearnsberger
06/02/2012, 09:49 AM
Is there a specific kind of sand I would need?

erock68
06/02/2012, 09:52 AM
Aragonite select size is perfect. I wouldn't go any smaller (like sugar size)

sponger0
06/02/2012, 09:52 AM
Argonite sand. Try to avoid finer smaller particle sand as people have complained about it getting blown around

jhearnsberger
06/02/2012, 10:09 AM
I currently have 1 yellow tail damsel, two percula clownfish, and 1 purple tang.

I would like to work towards having fish and low light corals that are from the area native to the purple tang. What would be a good combination for my 125?

sponger0
06/02/2012, 10:18 AM
Any would work with proper lighting, filtration and good water husbandry

jhearnsberger
06/02/2012, 10:34 AM
But, there aren't the same types of fish all over the ocean are there? Do purple tangs not congregate only in certain parts of the world?

sponger0
06/02/2012, 10:39 AM
That is something I cant comment on. That is something you would want to research. Do a google search on Purple Tangs