PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin and copper

antjtc
06/02/2012, 12:04 AM
I'm about to tx my mandarin goby w copper. Anyone have success with tsing a mandarin w copper? I can't feed it copepods due to copper kill em. How will it survive eight wks of copper?

sponger0
06/02/2012, 06:14 AM
Only question I have is why??

snorvich
06/02/2012, 07:28 AM
How will it survive eight wks of copper?

It won't.

sponger0
06/02/2012, 07:40 AM
It won't.

I agree......I still wanna know why this question is asked? What is the OP trying to accomplish?

antjtc
06/02/2012, 08:24 AM
I agree......I still wanna know why this question is asked? What is the OP trying to accomplish?

I think I have ich in my dt and will need to tx all my fish in qt. Even though no signs on mandarin it could be in his gills. What do you think about hypo for the mandarin?

sponger0
06/02/2012, 08:28 AM
Most the mandarins dont carry ich. Its possible. But due to their slimey coat, the parasite has a hard time breaking the skin of the mandarin. It can carry it but usually not affected.

I would leave him in the display. I had a tank with ich but left my dragonette in the tank for 8 weeks. The ich was gone. And the dragonette was uneffected.

I dont think any fish would survive 8 weeks of treatment of copper. It should only be 2 weeks of treatment with copper, then observation for the remaining time.

Clay4AU
06/02/2012, 08:30 AM
I think I have ich in my dt and will need to tx all my fish in qt. Even though no signs on mandarin it could be in his gills. What do you think about hypo for the mandarin?

I'd leave it alone until you know for sure, by stressing the fish you could cause them to catch it.

MrTuskfish
06/02/2012, 09:30 AM
I'd leave it alone until you know for sure, by stressing the fish you could cause them to catch it.

Stress gets blamed for everything lately; IMO, the most over-used word in the hobby.

antjtc
06/02/2012, 09:42 AM
Stress gets blamed for everything lately; IMO, the most over-used word in the hobby.

I would like to add to the most over used word in the hobby but w a slight twist. We ought to be talking about stress management for the fish......how we can practice this hobby without adding undue stress on the fish. We also bolster up their ability to handle stress by feeding them well and providing a stable home environment for them. Thank goodness the fish don't have to worry about work stress.

MrTuskfish
06/02/2012, 10:20 AM
I would like to add to the most over used word in the hobby but w a slight twist. We ought to be talking about stress management for the fish......how we can practice this hobby without adding undue stress on the fish. We also bolster up their ability to handle stress by feeding them well and providing a stable home environment for them. Thank goodness the fish don't have to worry about work stress.

Sure! A fish on the reef spends its entire life trying to find food, avoiding being food, an trying to mate. That much stress should kill them! We pretty much eliminate these stressors and add the stress of captivity; which (IMO & IME) most fish readily adapt to. I know "stress" can contribute to many fish problems; but I doubt that a fish goes from its normal healthy state to the point of losing its resistance to a parasite, in the time it takes to catch them. I'm not referring to anything on this thread; but I think "fear of stressing the fishies" is the most common excuse for not using a QT or HT when needed. Also, IMO & IME, not using a QT?HT when required probably drives more folks out of our hobby than any other controllable factor.

As for the mandarin; how about using tank-transfer and store-bought pods? I'm not an expert on these fish; but shouldn't that work?

sponger0
06/02/2012, 10:33 AM
As for the mandarin; how about using tank-transfer and store-bought pods? I'm not an expert on these fish; but shouldn't that work?

Im no expert but have had a few dragonettes. My experience with 3 is they have not transferred over with ich from ich systems. Even living in a system with ich after 6 weeks it was gone. If you drop pods in a system with copper I would expect the pods to die instantly.

Clay4AU
06/02/2012, 10:45 AM

I always thought it was either Ultra or LE

MrTuskfish
06/02/2012, 02:18 PM
Im no expert but have had a few dragonettes. My experience with 3 is they have not transferred over with ich from ich systems. Even living in a system with ich after 6 weeks it was gone. If you drop pods in a system with copper I would expect the pods to die instantly.

I know mandarins are very unlikely to carry ich; but I have read/heard accounts of ich being found in their gills. I've torn apart a big tank because of ich just once, about 15 yrs ago and I'll never do it again. I would never return any untreated fish to my DTs....I admit I'm paranoid about the stuff.
Tank Transfer doesn't use copper, or any med and should work well with mandarins.....But I've never done it.