PDA

View Full Version : Red turf algae

jcmjoe
06/02/2012, 05:35 AM
I just have a quick question about red turf algae. I have a couple of pieces of live rock that have it growing in the tank. Is it a problem? I dont find it an eye sore and it actually adds some different color to my tank. I have decent coralline algae growth and all my water parameters are dead on. Should I get it out , will it overrun the tank eventually ? Thanks

phishcrazee
06/04/2012, 07:40 PM
It marches across the rockwork if you have the nutrients for it and nothing I know of really eats it. I guess if it doesn't bother you leave it alone, but realize it will grow wherever there is opportunity. If you choose to get rid of it, several treatments of the peroxide treatment will eventually kill it........

gonpostal
06/04/2012, 08:05 PM
I would get rid of it ASAP. I bought some live rock from someone who was breaking down his tank, and it seems it was loaded with phosphate. First I had a bout of dinos and then red turf algae. I ran GFO, chaeto, lots of water changes, turbo snails, nothing slowed down the turf algae. It spread to almost every rock in the tank, and I finally gave up and broke down the tank and soaked all of the rock in muriatic acid.

jcmjoe
06/05/2012, 08:33 PM
wow, thanks guys. I will remove the rock and clean it up asap. thanks again

brandon429
06/06/2012, 09:21 AM
I hate it. its the only reason I don't have a 12 year old reefbowl, this algae killed my pico. Since being introduced to peroxide that will never happen again. my current bowl has it as well in one spot that pops up every 4 months, I think my LFS where I keep getting my frags and lr is the origination source.

when my bowl is drained for a water change and the algae is exposed, two drops of 3% from a new bottle right on it, let sit drained for 2 mins cooking, refill tank, algae gone in 5 or 6 days I treat about twice a year for the stuff, best cure Ive ever seen.

acid etching works too, peroxide is nice because it doesn't entail a big do over and your bacteria communities are -boosted- by it, not harmed.

Filtration bacteria are aerobes, when the water oxygen content increases slightly well below toxicity levels they have a competitive advantage for a short time, its purely harmless. increased skimming increasing oxygen content much faster and more sustained.

brandon429
06/06/2012, 09:22 AM
if you dont mind, would you take before and after pics of your treatment and post it in our thread we collect mad cure pics

nanos forum, pico reef pest algae problem challenge thread
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2082359

akma
06/06/2012, 07:51 PM
+1. Red turf algae is the worst. It takes over your whole tank. I had one rock with it and I took it out and nuked it with peroxide. H2O2 is the best!

jcmjoe
06/08/2012, 09:00 PM
I was hoping you would chime in Brandon (read about you treating with peroxide)! So I simply pull the rock out of the water, spray it with hydrogen peroxide, let it sit for about 2 minutes then put it back in the tank? no scrubbing or anything? thanks. I will try and get some pics! thanks for all the help.

brandon429
06/08/2012, 09:48 PM
Yes but this algae takes about a week to die off
The signal is pink tips in a few days then it progresses, make sure its a new bottle of peroxide not one previously opened

Take us some before and after pics so we can use them in the thread
Hope it works great for you
B

jcmjoe
06/09/2012, 04:21 AM
Great! I need to start a photo bucket account and get some pics on here. Thanks

jcmjoe
06/09/2012, 03:43 PM
Well Brandon I tried the peroxide on the worst piece last night and the results are incredible. Its pretty much over half gone and the rest of it has lightened up to a nice pink color like you said. And as you said my cleanup crew is pigging out on it!! I am horrible as far as tech stuff on the computer. I have taken pics but just trying to figure out how to get it on here! thanks again.

brandon429
06/09/2012, 05:12 PM
Dang that's fast I've never seen it that fast before on red brush ~if you can ever upload the pics man lemme help i'm not all that great at computers either

Can you get the file on your desk top at least? From there you just go to bottom of your reply message, find the manage attachment button, select it off your desktop and upload