PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I love mantis shrimps

Kiamose
06/03/2012, 12:42 AM
Good morning, I've just joined this forum as I noticed you had a special place for all those that love mantis shrimps, and I do.
Two years ago when we where starting up our new 500l tank I noticed we had a baby mantis shrimp, we where lucky to catch him as he was in one piece of the multitude of rock we had just bought and popped him in to what was then our hospital tank, there was no way we could kill him as it wasn't his fault he was taken out of the ocean and bought to my home so we set up the tank for him where he has been living happily ever since.
He is wonderful and we have been able to get some fantastic footage of him but still a little unsure as to what he is, but I don't care as he is my baby.
Thank you for reading. I look forward to reading all your past and present threads for our wonderful friends.

Kharn
06/03/2012, 01:27 AM
Good morning, I've just joined this forum as I noticed you had a special place for all those that love mantis shrimps, and I do.
Two years ago when we where starting up our new 500l tank I noticed we had a baby mantis shrimp, we where lucky to catch him as he was in one piece of the multitude of rock we had just bought and popped him in to what was then our hospital tank, there was no way we could kill him as it wasn't his fault he was taken out of the ocean and bought to my home so we set up the tank for him where he has been living happily ever since.
He is wonderful and we have been able to get some fantastic footage of him but still a little unsure as to what he is, but I don't care as he is my baby.
Thank you for reading. I look forward to reading all your past and present threads for our wonderful friends.

Welcome to ReefCentral!

Mantis Shrimps are a very interesting pet that (in my eyes) provide more intrigue then any other single animal one could keep (perhaps besides cephalopods).

These little creatures never cease to amaze and when I got 1 I knew I wanted more, much like the pokemon ;P

Gotta' catch 'em all!

As far as I am concerned you won't likely find a better place on the net to openly talk about these creatures specifically.

Enjoy your stay! :celeb3:

gpx1200
06/03/2012, 05:30 AM
welcome to the forum.
we love to play name that mantis here post up some pics of your little guy and i bet youll have a positive id buy the end of the day or even if you don't care about the id post some pics anyway we wana see um

TundraGuy
06/03/2012, 06:09 AM
All we ask is pix! O and welcome. :)

Kiamose
06/03/2012, 11:45 PM
Good morning and thank you for your welcomes,
as soon as I've learnt how to update a video I'll put one up, my main problem will be choosing which one to upload, can anyone help me on how to put up a video or pic?
I would love to know what he is, just to learn more about him, one thing I have noticed is that when we got him he was only under an inch in length, now he is nearly 3, sometimes he is a browny motaled colour with a few whitish stripes and other times he is a beautiful green and his pinchers are always electric green with a beautiful purple colour inside, can that give you a kick start to what type he is?

Kharn
06/04/2012, 12:16 AM
Good morning and thank you for your welcomes,
as soon as I've learnt how to update a video I'll put one up, my main problem will be choosing which one to upload, can anyone help me on how to put up a video or pic?
I would love to know what he is, just to learn more about him, one thing I have noticed is that when we got him he was only under an inch in length, now he is nearly 3, sometimes he is a browny motaled colour with a few whitish stripes and other times he is a beautiful green and his pinchers are always electric green with a beautiful purple colour inside, can that give you a kick start to what type he is?

What I do is upload my videos into my YouTube channel then I just link them here.

Peter T
06/06/2012, 11:52 AM
Welcome to Reef Central and the forums! I guess I am a little late in welcoming you to Reef Central, but I have been busy and away for some time but am glad to be back.

The mantis shrimp forums was the biggest reason I joined Reef Central a few years back. There was nowhere else online that I could find that had such a vast and combined experience in keeping these wonderful pets. I hope you enjoy these forums as much as we do and I am glad to have you on board.

united417
06/13/2012, 08:16 AM
What I do is upload my videos into my YouTube channel then I just link them here.

2nd that!and judging by your description alone, G. Smithii sounds like a possibility. if you are familiar with meral spots (if not, no fret!i learned what they were on here)and that helps a bit with the ID. sexing it is also pretty easy once you know what to look for!hope you find all the answers you are looking for, and welcome to the crew