PDA

View Full Version : Used chemi-clean and skimmer is nuts

RVANANO
06/03/2012, 07:09 AM
I have done this before on my 120 over a year ago but now I cannot get my skimmer to work properly. I did a 20% water change. Then a week later another 10%. I have also been running activated carbon. It's been 2 weeks and my skimmer still overflows like mad. Anything else I can do? I plan on doing another 10-15% change today. I am a bit worried as a lack of skimmer is starting to take it's toll on the tank.

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/03/2012, 07:13 AM
Change the GAC again and use more, and try to run the skimmer even if overflowing as that removes a lot of the surfactants causing the skimmer problems.

Water changes are not usually that useful for this purpose unless you do a lot or especially big ones.

RVANANO
06/03/2012, 07:17 AM
So if I leave the plug open on the skimmer cup drain and just let it run it will help? Thanks

cfredallen
06/03/2012, 07:29 AM
I have used Chemi Clean before. I dialed water height in my skimmer way back and after about 2 days was back to normal.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/03/2012, 08:29 AM
So if I leave the plug open on the skimmer cup drain and just let it run it will help? Thanks

However you accomplish it, running the skimmer and removing fluid is the best way to remove surfactants that cause skimmers to overproduce. :)

jrp1588
06/03/2012, 08:57 AM
Yep, that's what I ended up doing. After an hour or so of overflowing and emptying the cup it was pretty well back to normal.

AcroporAddict
06/03/2012, 10:37 AM
If you do nothing, your skimmer operation will be back to normal in about a week. ChemiClean does its job well, but they don't tell you your skimmer will go nuts for 6-7 days post treatment. I have a Vertex Alpha 250 Cone, and post treatment, even with the wedge pipe turned completely open the skimmer still overfoams right after treatment. If I raise the skimmer a few inches in the sump in combo with the open wedge pipe I can use the skimmer, but meh, I just increase my water changes a bit and wait a week, then all is well.

RVANANO
06/04/2012, 04:53 PM
My skimmer went nuts for 2 weeks though. That's the weird thing. I did another water change yesterday and the skimmer immediately was fine. Strange that it took 3 changes to get there. I even went a little light on the dosage.

Po Pimp Daddie
06/04/2012, 05:18 PM
Yea dude, I grabbed a chair and sat next to my tank with a bucket and a kill switch for my skimmer and for close to two hours of continuous emptying and then checking salinity and adding top off accordingly it stopped. Good luck.