PDA

View Full Version : New tank and dry rock

reefbud
06/03/2012, 01:43 PM
I noticed my Pulkani dry rock is turning from whilte to brown during my 3rd week. Is that normal? I have very little green algae at this point. Is that good or bad?

Ideally, I'd rather the top side of the main rocks to remain as white as possible in terms of looks...it appears the top side is the location of the brown spots for the most part.

I noticed that I can flush the brown off a bit with water...is this a good practice to blow off sediment with a bit of water pressure?

Should I encourage algae in a new tank or not? I can increase the lighting to do so but I assumed algae was discouraged.

Thanks!

Reefmedic79
06/03/2012, 01:58 PM
The brown is normal in the begining. You will never have completely white rocks in the tank.

Use your lighting as you normally would, you do want to encourage some algea growth. Your rock will start to turn a pale neon green and then start to get the coralline colors if you have some Live rock in the tank to seed it.

FYI: algea growth is not discouraged in general, it the invasive algea like bryopsis, hair algea ect... that you want to keep under control. When your rock starts to turn the green that a good time to start slowly adding your snails and hermits of the CUC.

reefbud
06/04/2012, 10:30 AM
I vary my lighting intensity...most of the day it is 40%. For maybe 3 hours it is 80%. If algae is good then sounds like I need to increase intensity for now so that this Dry rock can get covered. I planned to seed the coraline purple using kalk dose in top-off water.

Though, I've see cases where coraline had taken over tanks pretty bad...I assume it is controllable right?

Originally, I lowered light intensity to save electricity and heat. But, I have a fan now so don't mind increases light.

I suppose I can lightly brush any pieces of rock that I would like to stay white right?

Regarding CUC, LFS had me add 7 hermits 3 snails 3 pepper shrimps 10 days ago ahead of any algae on this dry rock...I wonder what they are eating?

cloak
06/04/2012, 10:51 AM
Regarding CUC, LFS had me add 7 hermits 3 snails 3 pepper shrimps 10 days ago ahead of any algae on this dry rock...I wonder what they are eating?

Seven hermits, three snails and three peppermint shrimp in your second week, cross your fingers. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think your tank has cycled yet. What are your parameters?

reefbud
06/04/2012, 12:22 PM
The parameters were always pretty mild...I initial used Bio Spira and another excellerator later mainly to seed the dry rock. There was a mild spike then back to 0's ... then I notice Amonia return a bit to .025 and back to 0.0. There are also 2 clown fish with the CUC...all added in week 3 and the tank is in week 4 now. I loss 1 snail and 1 shrimp.

My guess is I am over feeding flakes to give the CUC something to eat...tho the food is pretty much gone within 60 minutes.

The clowns are eating everything in site...I assume the tank is somewhat stable at present. I had temp problems last week due to my sump being in my hot garage...ranging from 77-82. Got that resolved...holding steady at 77.3 now.

When can I add my next 2 fish? I am considering a yellow Tang and the blue Tang. I hear I should add those 2 at the same time. Separately I want to add 5 Chromis at some point as my "schooling fish". I assume to wait 3-4 weeks between installs right?

Michigan Mike
06/04/2012, 01:32 PM
What size is your tank?

IridescentLily
06/04/2012, 01:59 PM
You're top rocks will never look white.
Here's a thread which shows the progression of brown diatoms, green film algae, red cyano bacteria, and finally coralline on dry rock. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1998651
Coralline is what reefkeepers strive for.
Dependant on the size of your tank, the blue tang, do you mean a blue atlantic tang or a blue (looks like 'Dory') blue tang?

reefbud
06/04/2012, 11:06 PM
I have a 120g DT plus 15g in Sump/Refug. Yes, the blue Tang Dori from the movie. I'll checkout the link you provided. Thanks.

chad316
06/05/2012, 10:30 AM
You're top rocks will never look white.
Here's a thread which shows the progression of brown diatoms, green film algae, red cyano bacteria, and finally coralline on dry rock. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1998651
Coralline is what reefkeepers strive for.
Dependant on the size of your tank, the blue tang, do you mean a blue atlantic tang or a blue (looks like 'Dory') blue tang?

Thanks for this. Been looking for it!

reefbud
06/05/2012, 11:34 PM
April, I noticed today the solution to keeping my rock tops clean...Mexican Turbo snails...one went directly across the top of the rock and left a perfectly clean trail...better than if I had cleaned with a brush! Anyhow, I'll be investing in alot more of those snails. They are truely work horses!