PDA

View Full Version : confused about kalk

Mrs. Music
06/04/2012, 07:22 AM
I am considering setting up a larger reservoir for top off with kalk and I am a bit unsure of the process. I understand the ATO process, but am confused about the kalk mixing/storage part. Do you mix the kalk in the reservoir, and a small pump delivers the saturated middle portion of the kalk, or do you mix it in a different container and then drain the middle/clear portion into your reservoir? Is there a link to an article? thanks everyone.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/04/2012, 07:46 AM
I mix it in the container I draw from with my ATO. :)

Mrs. Music
06/04/2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the reply. So does the pump sit on shelf or something inside the reservoir to keep the settled materials from entering the pump?

KCombs
06/04/2012, 08:08 AM
...many of us use a Toms Aqualifter ....you can DIY or buy a small sediment filter to keep the percipitate out...

personally I pre mix mine and draw off the clear liquid, but you don't have to ,,,,

shiladitya1991
06/04/2012, 09:49 AM
The shelf thing works..I have used that in the past.

kissman
06/04/2012, 10:01 AM
I have a piece of rock in the bottom pf my brute and the tubing is tied to it so it doesn't pull from bottom

tmz
06/04/2012, 12:04 PM
Just keep the inlet tube a few inches off the bottom . A rigid tube works easily. Let the kalk settle after stirring it in for about 2 hours before startingthe pump.. then you'll get only clear kalk water. Keep it unstirred in a covered container( not necessarily sealed). It won't loose it's strength unstirred for weeks to a month or so; maybe longer.