PDA

View Full Version : Another live rock question

Pvillarraga
06/05/2012, 10:51 AM
Sorry another question about boring live rock. I have a 6 gallon fluval edge with about 3 lbs of live rock. I bought 1piece of 1 3/4lbs of live rock that was in a tank at my LFS. It was full of aiptasia and some bristle worms. I also think it created a little ammonia spike. I took it out and all my levels are good now. My question does it have to be cured even it was in a tank at the store. I have it in a 5 gallon bucket with water and a powehead for water flow. Does temperature matter for the rock. I want to kill all the aiptasia and put it back in with out having to worry about a spike or throwing thing out of whack. What is the process I should follow thanks guys!!

chad316
06/05/2012, 10:58 AM
I would cure it in the bucket (I would try to get the water close to tank acceptable temps)...I've read Aptasia-X and peppermint shrimp for aptasia cures...I will leave recommendations up to the pros though as far as that's concerned LOL.

Sugar Magnolia
06/05/2012, 11:03 AM
It depends on how long the rock was in the store, whether it was fully cured or partially. Just leave it in the bucket for a few weeks and test the water in the bucket.

Pvillarraga
06/05/2012, 11:31 AM
What about the temp in the bucket does it matter? It's probably around 73-74 with no heater I was probably gonna move it to the garage but idl of that would be 2 hot?

Pvillarraga
06/05/2012, 11:52 AM
Should i perform water changes and does temperature really matter?

TellyFish
06/05/2012, 02:49 PM
You can, but in many cases you do not have to.

When curing rock I like to have a decent temp, some water circulation, and minimal water changes. No lights if you want to kill the aiptasia.

That being said, I once forgot a bunch of live rock in a covered container with absolutely no attention like a heater, pump, or any water changes... FOR 3 YEARS. When I opened the container I was amazed to find that the the rocks were still alive and I even found copepods and worms.

TellyFish
06/05/2012, 02:50 PM
Double post... super annoying...