PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn not opening

gvan101
06/05/2012, 10:55 AM
I bought this frogspawn 2 weeks ago and it was doing great until 3 days ago. is there anyway to revive this. attached are 2 pics of what it looked like last week and what it looks like now. any ideas how i can revive this or why this just happened to this and not my torch or hammer. i moved it all the way to the left of the tank in the sandbed now.

Psirex
06/05/2012, 01:36 PM
What are your water parameters? how are the others doing? do you see and pest on it?

gvan101
06/05/2012, 01:48 PM
Water param

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Phosphate .03
Ph *between 8

Running Gfo. And carbon reactor with uv sterilizer 10 gal sump with refugium. All of the other corals are doing great as seen in the other pic. No pests but my blue legged hermit crabs are at the skeleton

robferrari
06/05/2012, 11:32 PM
Do you know what your alk, ca, and mag levels are? How long has your tank been up? Perhaps it's still stressed from being acclimated. I would keep it in the corner like you have it and try your best to make sure it does not get disturbed by anything.

Reef inebriated
06/05/2012, 11:35 PM
Is that a typo or do you have nitrites is this tank cycled

Reef inebriated
06/05/2012, 11:36 PM
Nvm read it wrong

willietang021
06/06/2012, 03:49 AM
What kind of flow was this frogspawn receiving? Place it at a lower flow and lower light area for it to recover a bit. Do not move it around if you can. Let it stable itself before doing any other changes to your tank. If your other corals are doing fine, it must be something particular happened to this frogspawn. Check and see if there's any tissue damage at all around the edges of the skeleton. I see that you had its skeleton bury inside the sand, which is not an ideal place for it. Because the sand can irritate the tissue quit a bit. I will use a piece of pvc or something else to lift the coral up a bit to avoid anything touch the tissue at all.

gvan101
06/06/2012, 03:49 AM
Unfortunately we have a man down. When i got home
Yesterday the flesh was hanging off the skeleton and the blue legged hermits were eating it. The tank is 10 years old. Just converted to reef tank 5 months ago. I use salifert test kits but I never checked my alk mag and calcium since I just started adding corals. I guess I'll be buying those tests today. Thanks for the interest guys

Michigan Mike
06/06/2012, 07:07 PM
Nitrate in what appears to be a low stock/ low bio load tank means it's time for a good water change and maybe some carbon, it's a good starting point when things start to look like their not doing good. Sorry about you FS, sucks, one of my favs.

johnnie1960
06/09/2012, 01:48 PM
It always sucks to lose a coral especially when you don't know why

achillesmf
06/12/2012, 12:01 PM
I recommend you calibrate your refractometer. I lost a hammer coral when mine went crazy.