PDA

View Full Version : Whats with my red planet?

Dana42078
06/05/2012, 12:59 PM
NOTHING!:lolspin: Its growing great, figured i'd share a pic i took today....this started from a half inch frag i got free from my favorite LFS.

Day 3

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/danahag42078/Redplanetfrag.jpg

Today:crazy1:

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/danahag42078/RPTD.jpg

marc49127
06/05/2012, 01:57 PM
Very nice coral! One of my favorites in my tank!

jcw
06/05/2012, 02:54 PM
how long have you had it?

6Speed
06/05/2012, 04:33 PM
very nice. what lighting?

SinisterReefer
06/05/2012, 05:23 PM
Nice score, and excellent growth

TRENT_G
06/05/2012, 05:39 PM
:) nice looking RP.

Dana42078
06/05/2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks!

I've had the frag for around 5 months. With the issues I've had I'm surprised it's still growing.

I have a ATI sunpower 4 bulb fixture. 2 ATI blue plus, 1 aqua blue special, and one purple plus.

REEF SMAC
06/05/2012, 06:41 PM
You must be saying nice things to it. It looks really happy.

29reef
06/05/2012, 08:53 PM
Doesn't look like the RP I've seen. Good work.

Noypi
06/05/2012, 09:03 PM
very nice growth

newe70
06/05/2012, 09:35 PM
Looking really nice...

Dana42078
06/05/2012, 11:07 PM
Doesn't look like the RP I've seen. Good work.

Lol then what's it look like? there is a green base. But it has faded since I moved the rock from one side of the tank to the other..

Thanks again for looking and happy reefing.

robferrari
06/05/2012, 11:48 PM
Very nice piece. The green might have faded but that's it. I think it looks more intensely colored and darker than what you usually see.

Dana42078
06/06/2012, 12:13 AM
Could this be due to keeping my alk at 9-10 dkh? A friend said to move it lower and would get more green. I personally like how deep red it is. Very bushy even during the day.

60Cubed
06/06/2012, 01:33 AM
What lights you running?

marlinman86
06/06/2012, 01:58 AM
that thing looks great

Dana42078
06/06/2012, 02:13 AM
What lights you running?

Read previous posts

that thing looks great

thank you!!!!

sahin
06/06/2012, 06:10 AM
Its growing nicely, but is the colour or rather the intensity of the colour as intense in person? Not meaning to offend, but the colour does look rather saturated.What are you dosing and feeding in your tank? How old is your tank. Thanks.

60Cubed
06/06/2012, 06:47 AM
I'm assuming T-5s.

sahin
06/06/2012, 07:40 AM
60 Cubed: No need to assume, if you look at post number 7, the OP tells us the combo of T5's he is using LOL. :)

OneReef
06/06/2012, 10:55 AM
It is well know that the lower the light with the RP the more green you keep, and the higher light, the more red/pink you get with the green fading

Dana42078
06/06/2012, 10:56 AM
Nope, not offended at all. Yes I use photoshop to correct the white balance. Do I over saturate my photos. No. I strive to give the best representation of my corals as I see them in person. Anyone who has seen my tank in person will tell you that's exactly how it looks.

6Speed
06/06/2012, 12:01 PM
It is well know that the lower the light with the RP the more green you keep, and the higher light, the more red/pink you get with the green fading

I've read that multiple times online, but I've experienced just the opposite. Very weird. My buddy has a very large planet colony and his is very low in his tank and not centered under the light (250w halide + 2 T5's) His is all red/pink without any hint of green. He then fragged a few pieces and placed them up near the very top directly under the light and it started developing green. I got one of those frags and placed it under my LED right in the center of the light up high in my tank and it turned even more/mostly green with just a hint of red!

Dana42078
06/06/2012, 04:39 PM
As far as dosing. I really don't dose that much. I do water changes every three weeks. Twards the end of the third week I'll test an if something is off I try and correct it. For alk I've been using baking soda, for calcium I use kent liquid cal, and for mag I use some liquid mag...can't remember the name off the top of my head and I'm at work.

My 46g just had its second birthday June 1st.

sahin
06/06/2012, 05:16 PM
Nope, not offended at all. Yes I use photoshop to correct the white balance. Do I over saturate my photos. No. I strive to give the best representation of my corals as I see them in person. Anyone who has seen my tank in person will tell you that's exactly how it looks.

Thank you for not taking offence. Generally, T5 lit tanks tend not to have as intense colour. BUT, having looked at the photos again, on my laptop at home, the colour doesnt appear as saturated as it did at my work computer.

As far as dosing. I really don't dose that much. I do water changes every three weeks. Twards the end of the third week I'll test an if something is off I try and correct it. For alk I've been using baking soda, for calcium I use kent liquid cal, and for mag I use some liquid mag...can't remember the name off the top of my head and I'm at work.

My 46g just had its second birthday June 1st.

Do you feel that the age of the tank makes for better colours as opposed to say when the tank was 3-4 months old?

Dana42078
06/06/2012, 06:54 PM
Thank you for not taking offence. Generally, T5 lit tanks tend not to have as intense colour. BUT, having looked at the photos again, on my laptop at home, the colour doesnt appear as saturated as it did at my work computer.

Do you feel that the age of the tank makes for better colours as opposed to say when the tank was 3-4 months old?

I'm not totally sure. If I were to make an educated guess I'd say yes.

As far as its color goes. I've seen all sorts of RP in a lot of diff ppls tanks and Not two have looked the same.

Dana42078
06/07/2012, 10:50 PM
one of my favorites

Guess i can add that i feed TLF reef snow....my lights are on from 11am-12 two bulbs, 12-7:30pm all 4 bulbs, 7:30pm-8:30pm 2 bulbs

frankyrivera
06/08/2012, 10:56 AM
I have two red planets in my tank both at the same level one is all green with light pink and the other is all red with some green lol same piece Same tank same spot two different colors. Who knows sometimes lol

dvanacker
06/08/2012, 11:53 AM
never seen one with blue tips before....

Dana42078
06/08/2012, 12:16 PM
NOTHING!:lolspin: Its growing great, figured i'd share a pic i took today....this started from a half inch frag i got free from my favorite LFS.

Day 3

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/danahag42078/Redplanetfrag.jpg

Today:crazy1:

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/danahag42078/RPTD.jpg

never seen one with blue tips before....

Darryl where do you see blue? They look bright white to me.:headwally:

Dana42078
06/08/2012, 12:33 PM
I dont see why my balls are being busted here. I have my photoshop set at 3 for saturation...you want saturation here....but thats not what i do with my photos. All my photo's are shot in raw and simply converted with photoshop. I really dont even mess with them unless the white balance needs to be corrected. Sorry some feel i shopped my photo but i didn't do anything to it other than convert the file. And like i said my saturation is set at 3!!! Give me a freakin break.

I really dont care but whatever. Think what ya want

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/danahag42078/hstyhd.jpg

sahin
06/08/2012, 02:40 PM
Try not to take offense. Darryl is a genuine reefkeeper. I suppose what I would say is that if one posts photos there will be criticism, postive and negative, or questions asked etc if photos appear a bit more colourful than one expects.

It might be that due to your monitor and colour profile setup on your software and computer, colour appear at normal saturation and look fine; but on other peoples monitors colour may appear more saturated.

Like I said the other day, at work when I viewed both your photos, the second photo appeared a lot more colour saturated.

In any event, the coral has definately coloured up. :beer:

Do you have a build thread somewhere? I searched your name but couldnt find one here on RC. I would like to know more about your system. Thanks.

Dana42078
06/08/2012, 03:55 PM
Try not to take offense. Darryl is a genuine reefkeeper. I suppose what I would say is that if one posts photos there will be criticism, postive and negative, or questions asked etc if photos appear a bit more colourful than one expects.

It might be that due to your monitor and colour profile setup on your software and computer, colour appear at normal saturation and look fine; but on other peoples monitors colour may appear more saturated.

Like I said the other day, at work when I viewed both your photos, the second photo appeared a lot more colour saturated.

In any event, the coral has definately coloured up. :beer:

Do you have a build thread somewhere? I searched your name but couldnt find one here on RC. I would like to know more about your system. Thanks.

I know Darryl is a SPS god. I'm subscribed to his build thread. That's what kinda made me on edge coming from him. If there's anyone to impress it would be him I'd wanna impress.

As far as a build thread. I've always been to scared to start one on this site because my tank is still young and doesn't even compare to most peoples on here. Don't think I'd have to many followers.

Im in the middle of changing the two tanks I have now. My 46g bow front which this piece is in is getting changed to a 45g cube and my 20g mantis tank is going to be a 40g breeder. Maybe I'll start those threads when I get a chance.

As far as the tank is right now.

46g bowfront
Ati 4 bulb fixture and ati bulbs
Reef octo hob skimmer along with running a bio wheel
No sump
Monthly 7g water changes
Hydor power heads

SG 1.025
Cal 450
Mag 1350
Ph 8.1

Everything else I TRY to keep at zero which doesn't always work.

The tank has been up 2 years as of June 1.

I'm sorry for getting bent outa shape. Kinda woke up in a crappy mood. Thanks for the support.

Moser
06/08/2012, 04:55 PM
I dont see why my balls are being busted here. I have my photoshop set at 3 for saturation...you want saturation here....but thats not what i do with my photos. All my photo's are shot in raw and simply converted with photoshop. I really dont even mess with them unless the white balance needs to be corrected. Sorry some feel i shopped my photo but i didn't do anything to it other than convert the file. And like i said my saturation is set at 3!!! Give me a freakin break.

I really dont care but whatever. Think what ya want

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/danahag42078/hstyhd.jpg

I have the same coral..... With blue tips!.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa351/m_a_majid/Reef%20Central%20Thread/TankThread1320.jpg

Mo

Dana42078
06/08/2012, 05:33 PM
That made me lol thanks

Reefer1225
06/08/2012, 05:50 PM
I know Darryl is a SPS god. I'm subscribed to his build thread. That's what kinda made me on edge coming from him. If there's anyone to impress it would be him I'd wanna impress.

As far as a build thread. I've always been to scared to start one on this site because my tank is still young and doesn't even compare to most peoples on here. Don't think I'd have to many followers.

Im in the middle of changing the two tanks I have now. My 46g bow front which this piece is in is getting changed to a 45g cube and my 20g mantis tank is going to be a 40g breeder. Maybe I'll start those threads when I get a chance.

As far as the tank is right now.

46g bowfront
Ati 4 bulb fixture and ati bulbs
Reef octo hob skimmer along with running a bio wheel
No sump
Monthly 7g water changes
Hydor power heads

SG 1.025
Cal 450
Mag 1350
Ph 8.1

Everything else I TRY to keep at zero which doesn't always work.

The tank has been up 2 years as of June 1.

I'm sorry for getting bent outa shape. Kinda woke up in a crappy mood. Thanks for the support.

Looks awesome, Dana42078! As long as you know what it really looks like and like it, then who cares what anyone else says. I admire a lot of people's tanks here, including dvanacker, but I think I'll set myself up for disappointment and drive myself crazy if I try to mimic other people's accomplishments. So, I just take it as a fun hobby, try to learn from others, and make the best with what I got. The only person I try to impress is myself. ;)

Keeps us posted on growth. My RP doesn't even come close to your growth/color in that time span. So, nice work!

dvanacker
06/08/2012, 08:45 PM
I don't think anyone knows enough to be called that. We are all just a bad batch of salt or an equipment failure away from a complete wipeout.

Sorry but I didnt read the whole thread. I was not really being sarcastic.....to me the tips do look light blue. If you say they are white than perhaps your whitebalance is skewed a little blue. I don't think the you jacked the saturation. Whitebalance is not the easiest to nail down and is the most important in taking a true to life picture. Even I can screw up the white balance from time to time.

But this is just a friendly critique maybe on the photo, not the quality of the coral. It probably is just as bright as the original picture....red planet is a bright acro. In fact if you adjusted white balance till those tips are white I bet it would show the redplanet as more red.

Dana42078
06/08/2012, 09:36 PM
I don't think anyone knows enough to be called that. We are all just a bad batch of salt or an equipment failure away from a complete wipeout.

Sorry but I didnt read the whole thread. I was not really being sarcastic.....to me the tips do look light blue. If you say they are white than perhaps your whitebalance is skewed a little blue. I don't think the you jacked the saturation. Whitebalance is not the easiest to nail down and is the most important in taking a true to life picture. Even I can screw up the white balance from time to time.

But this is just a friendly critique maybe on the photo, not the quality of the coral. It probably is just as bright as the original picture....red planet is a bright acro. In fact if you adjusted white balance till those tips are white I bet it would show the redplanet as more red.

Thanks. I will have to play with my pics more i guess. I mean im still getting used to using my camera and the software. Not claiming to be a professional.
I appriciate your feed back and will take it in and try harder next time. Thanks for looking and sharing your knowledge.

Dana

myroom
06/09/2012, 05:24 AM
stunning wow incredible growth and color