PDA

View Full Version : My CUC.. could it be better?

SKurj
06/05/2012, 02:16 PM
Ok I have a 40g long (same footprint as a standard 55g)

Reef grade sand, 40lbs or so of rock 1/2 live 1/2 dead though growing fast. Tank has had water since early March.

Current CUC:
12 trochus snails some quite big
3 Astrea
3 nassarius
5 ceriths
1 emerald crab
2 peppermint shrimp

The nassarius don't seem to intent on cleaning up left over food (though i am probably overfeeding abit)

Is my CUC sufficient or should I add to it?
I was avoiding hermits in case they kill snails but in the end replacement snails are cheap...

I don't have any herbivore fish in the DT yet, though a tiny pygmy dwarf angel still has 3 weeks+ in QT and that will be the last fish.

Current stock:
1 hector's goby - sifts sand so likely helping with diatoms..
1 gold neon goby
1 hoeven's wrasse
2 occelaris clowns

Some of my dead rock (marco rock) has GHA, though none of the live rock does, it just has bubble algae which it looks like emerald hasn't found yet (he's tiny and hasn't been in the tank a week yet).

yh1185
06/05/2012, 02:20 PM
I would throw 1 turbo snail in there. They're monsters at eating algae, but they do knock things over, so make sure your corals and such are all attached. It wouldn't hurt to get more nass snails, or maybe a conch. Otherwise, just add CUC as needed. No need to go crazy if there's nothing for them to eat.

TellyFish
06/05/2012, 02:28 PM
The fact that your nassarius snails are not actively seeking food when you add it tells me they are well-fed. (Mine wake from the dead and go crazy every time I feed.)

I would say cut back on feeding just a tad and don't add anything other CUC for now unless you just really want it.

SKurj
06/05/2012, 03:39 PM
The fact that your nassarius snails are not actively seeking food when you add it tells me they are well-fed. (Mine wake from the dead and go crazy every time I feed.)

I would say cut back on feeding just a tad and don't add anything other CUC for now unless you just really want it.

Yeah they used to come out the moment food hit the water, I am only feeding once a day, so I'll try cutting the amount fed down abit.

Fish_King_25
06/05/2012, 04:23 PM
+1 on the turbos. I have two fairly big ones in my 29g, and I have very little algae in my tank because they are both very good at cleaning up. Between those two and my army of Nass. Snails, my tank stays spotless

Sent via me