PDA

View Full Version : Hyposalinity question

MeTaLMaN1375
06/06/2012, 08:52 AM
I am in the process of curing my Copperbanded Butterfly and my Lemon Peel Mimic Tang of Ich by administering the Hyposalinity treatment but it is my first time doing so. They are both sitting in my 20g high QT which is bare of course with the exception of a fake aquarium log with fake plant in it to hide in and behind my salinity lvl is at 1.008 and my temp is at aroun 79 degrees F and Im constantly checking my PH to make sure its stays where it should be using a PH and alk buffer to raise it when I need to. My question is to anyone who has experience in this treatment is how long does it normally take before you can see some of the spots disappear and overall how long does this treatment normally take. I know what ever you tell me is not an exact and doesnt apply to every case but it at least gives me a time frame to look forward to.

Palting
06/06/2012, 11:24 AM
In the fish that I had that had Ich, the spots usually disappear after 4-5 days. BTW, the last day that you see any spots is day 0 in the countdown (or is it countup?) to a minimum 4 weeks (28 days) or preferable 6 weeks of constant 1.009 salinity.

Here's a blow by blow account of how I did hyposalinity treatment on 11 fish in a 110 gallon QT/HT: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1892446

Hal
06/06/2012, 02:14 PM
Check this out. It's my "Bible" for the hypo treatment.

http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/hyposalinity.html

If you use the links you'll see a discussion on the lifecyle of the ich parasite, which will answer your question on how long the spots will be present (3-7 days at normal reef temps).

For how long:the answer is 4-6 weeks after the spots disappear.

MeTaLMaN1375
06/06/2012, 08:54 PM
Thank you.

Reefahholic
06/07/2012, 01:08 AM
Just curious, why don't people use copper in a QT and skip the hypo treatment.

Since there are no corals in a QT, wouldn't copper be a lot easier??

Palting
06/07/2012, 08:39 AM

The choice between copper and hypo is a matter of opinion and preference. They both work, they both require precision (precise salinity in one, precise copper level in the other), they both require the absence of coral and inverts, and they both require simillar amount of time. Anything else beyond that is arguable.

For me, at the time that I needed to treat, salinity seemed simpler and easier. I also used a 110 gallon as a QT/HT, and I didn't want it labelled as a "copper tank". So I did hyposalinity treatment. Another member here started a copper treatment about the same time I started my hyposalinity treatment. By luck and happenstance, my hyposalinity treatment worked, his copper treatment didn't. Pure coincidence or fate, but that made me a hyposalinity believer.

MrTuskfish
06/07/2012, 10:11 AM
Hypo or copper is always controversial. Both require research and neither is easy. IMO & IME, human errors are common with both. Over time, whatever works for you is best. I've become very comfortable with copper and use it with all new fish; mainly because copper kills velvet (and other unusual stuff) and hypo only kills ich. All that drivel said; I really think tank -transfer is the best way to cure ich. I've become a recent convert and (IMO) its easy, safe, and fool-proof. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1996525

to the OP: 2 things that will prevent many hypo failures: A perfectly calibrated hydrometer. An ATO or constant topping-off. Just a few minutes of a SG above 1.009 (due to evaporation) is enough to let a newly released parasite reach a host. And re-new the life-cycle. However; hypo, copper. or TT work if they are done properly. Unfortunately, in the world of ich, I doubt anything is ever 100% certain----but yousure can get close.

DownwardDawg
06/07/2012, 12:53 PM
In the fish that I had that had Ich, the spots usually disappear after 4-5 days. BTW, the last day that you see any spots is day 0 in the countdown (or is it countup?) to a minimum 4 weeks (28 days) or preferable 6 weeks of constant 1.009 salinity.

Here's a blow by blow account of how I did hyposalinity treatment on 11 fish in a 110 gallon QT/HT: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1892446

That's a great thread. I just read the whole thing. I'm trying to figure out what to do when I move my fish from the 29 to the 125. I know the 29 had ich a couple of years ago. No signs since, but I know it was there.

Reefahholic
06/07/2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I didn't realize copper was as demanding as the hypo tx. I thought you just dosed the correct amount and that was it.

Hal
06/08/2012, 10:57 AM

I've tried both treatments. IME, I've had more fish survive the hypo treatment, so that's what I use and recommend. If you believe what you read on the internet, hypo is gentler on the fish than copper. YMMV.