PDA

View Full Version : Koralia controllable pumps opinions

fishnerd1
06/06/2012, 11:44 AM
I'd like to get some end user opinion of these pumps. I've got a 245g an need to upgrade my flow. I know Vortech are taken as the best with Tunze a close second. Plenty of hype and observing them in action I agree they are very good pumps/controllers. Problem is I have not hit the lottery yet and would prefer spending the extra $ on livestock rather than equipment. In terms of cost:

2 MP40WES - $ 930 with 6,400 gph flow max

2 Koralia Mag 7 controllables + 4 way controller $550 with flow rate of 6,200 gph

4 Koralia Mag 7 controllables + 4 way controller $750 with flow rate of 12,400 gph

The Range of adjustability high to low with the Koralia's vs the vortech's is within measurement error in my opinion - about 100 gph so the range is a wash. Not sure about the width and velocity out the ends though. I've seen some graphics on the vortech flow distribution which looks fairly uniform but none on the Koralia. My experience with the Evolution 1400's is the flow seems high but not a pointed high velocity stream as say a maxi.

For a lot less $ you get more flow with a 4 pack of Koralia's vs 2 MP's. I know the controller for the Vortech's are the best out there but in reality don't you find the settings you like and basically leave it alone? I can't see spending $$$ for the vortech's if possible.

I need some input from those that have the Korallia controllables to help make a wise decision. Thanks for your help.

fishnerd1
06/06/2012, 05:19 PM
Ecotech's recommendation is 1 MP60 and 2 MP40's for a total of $1705. Sure making the Koralia more attractive. Someone must be running these pumps.

fishnerd1
06/08/2012, 06:38 PM
bump for the weekend. Anybody out there using Koralia controlables?

ReefTankHunter
06/08/2012, 07:19 PM
Sorry, I use the EVO. Got 5 of them running in 2 differnt tanks. Tried using them on my RKL. You know how that turned out. Run backwards. Yes they are junk.

Purple Rocks
06/09/2012, 07:11 PM
Hello im using the koralia wave maker 2, with 2 x 800 min - 2500 max gph.
I like for the cost, close to but not quite $500.00 @ lfs

You can adjust min and max flow and the time between intervals. 2sec - 30sec and 30min- 6hrs i believe.
However you can only run them opposite of each other (when 1 is at max - 2 is at min)
So you cant have them pulse together( if it can i havnt figured it out) it also comes with a photo sensor so that when the lights go out both pumps run on min.(add-on $50.00)

The power heads them selves kinda shoot the water in a focused stream, I also find that they take up room and can be hard to hide behind rocks.

Hope this helps cheers.

Purple Rocks
06/09/2012, 07:14 PM
Hello im using the koralia wave maker 2, with 2 x 800 min - 2500 max gph.
I like for the cost, close to but not quite $500.00 @ lfs

You can adjust min and max flow and the time between intervals. 2sec - 30sec and 30min- 6hrs i believe and has a feed setting(turns them to min for 15min).
However you can only run them opposite of each other (when 1 is at max - 2 is at min)
So you cant have them pulse together( if it can i havnt figured it out) it also comes with a photo sensor so that when the lights go out both pumps run on min.(add-on $50.00)

The power heads them selves kinda shoot the water in a focused stream, I also find that they take up room and can be hard to hide behind rocks, But all in all, the price is what made the decision.

Hope this helps cheers.

fishnerd1
06/12/2012, 07:50 PM
Limited response to the Koralia controllables, makes me wonder how good they really are. Back to considering the Tunze, like the Vortechs but the perpetual cost of repair takes them out of the equation IMO. I mean for 465 you should not have to do a lot of repairs for at least a few years. Maybe would consider if Vortech included repair parts for 2-3 years use. At lest with Tunze you get a 2 yr warrenty and you don't see the blitz of repair, noise, etc like the vortech's. Do like the vortech controller though. Sure would be nice to use the vortech controller with the Tunze pump quality.