PDA

View Full Version : Bayer or Interceptor?

fishguy597
06/06/2012, 06:37 PM
About a month and a half ago I noticed rb's. I picked up some bayer and dipped away. I couldnt dip everything because I have some colonies on some large rocks that couldnt be pulled. The corals looked great. Now today I have noticed them on a few corals. I'm thinking that obviously some of them slipped through the cracks. Im just worried I'll go through this all over again in another month if I dip again. The mixture I used was 1 cup water to 4 ml bayer. From reading the bayer thread I could step it up to at least 1:8.

I have a full box of interceptor I have been sitting on and its still under the exp date. If I decide to do it there are a few things Im concerned about. I have a manderin that i cannot catch and in 4 years I have never seen it eat prepaired food. So Im sure it will die. The pod /amphoid poulation being killed off. What will that do to my tank as far as no3/no4 rising? A little bit of cheato from another reefer will take for ever to repopulate my tank. I guess on the positive side hopefully it would kill off a mantis or pistol shrimp in my tank. I would use the .025 mg to 10 gal of water and also do 3 treatments.

IM just curious as to what opinions people have or recommendaions. Any help would be great!:hmm4:

tahiriqbal
06/06/2012, 07:06 PM
A difficult one here. Can't you set a trap to catch your manderin and then let it live in someone's tank for a while? You should also prepare yourself for couple of water changes and few clean filter socks to catch all the dead CUC and pods!!!

Tahir

The J Man
06/06/2012, 07:48 PM
Dont use bayer in the tank. If you go the bayer route you will have to remove all acro colonies and dip them. I have not used interceptor so I have no advice there.

Reefer1225
06/06/2012, 08:01 PM
I've used Bayer and it works but only as a preventative dip IME. I would dip and the frag looks immediately better with polyp extension, but this would only last until the RB find their way back. The RB are in your system now. If you can't dip every single acro in attempt to kill them all, then the RB will eventually be back. I tried dipping and redipping, which worked for a while, but like you I couldn't get every single coral out b/c they were encrusted on big rocks. I have no doubt that Bayer does in fact work, but you just can't treat the whole tank in most cases (unless all you have is little frags you could remove, but still it isn't a guarantee). So, now I just use Bayer as my preventative dip.

So, I bit the bullet and did 3 treatments of interceptor. It nuked the tank. copepods, amphipods, shrimp and crabs I could not catch, all died. Snails lived though. I have a mandarin too. It got skinny, but the good thing is he started eating brine/mysis. I guess he would rather try that than die. Now, he eats brine/mysis all the time. My pod population slowly returned after getting more chaeto and live rock from others.

So, in sum. You have to nuke it to be sure they are all gone. Then use Bayer or other dips before introducing new corals. Just my two cents.

Whisperer
06/07/2012, 03:34 AM
^^^^ agree.