PDA

View Full Version : calcium reactor reviews?

hypnoj
06/07/2012, 10:36 AM
Anyone know where I can find some good calcium reactor reviews or information? I'm looking for one for a < 300 gallon tank (80g to be exact) and don't quite know where to start outside of reading reviews from places like BRS. Any help would be appreciated :)

chadfarmer
06/07/2012, 03:23 PM
do a search for the geo

OneReef
06/07/2012, 04:10 PM
I love my geo

grigsy
06/08/2012, 07:43 PM
Best just to do a search.

I also like my Geo Calcium Reactor.

Lutefisk
06/09/2012, 07:17 AM
My 2-cents on choosing a calcium reactor:

#1 - The reactor itself is the simplest and least significant part of the equation
A good reactor has a reliable pump and is easy to service. (I like my Geo)

#2 - The most important part of a CO2 reactor system is reliable and dependable flow rates.
Unless you can reliably control your effluent and CO2 input nothing else matters.

hypnoj
06/09/2012, 12:03 PM
My 2-cents on choosing a calcium reactor:

#1 - The reactor itself is the simplest and least significant part of the equation
A good reactor has a reliable pump and is easy to service. (I like my Geo)

#2 - The most important part of a CO2 reactor system is reliable and dependable flow rates.
Unless you can reliably control your effluent and CO2 input nothing else matters.

Good advice. Now, what's the best way to go about finding the best pressure gauges, valves, etc for my CO2 tank? Any advice on which company to go with? model's etc? Or a good place for me to find reviews of this stuff?
The help so far has been invaluable :) I really appreciate it.

James77
06/09/2012, 01:12 PM
Good advice. Now, what's the best way to go about finding the best pressure gauges, valves, etc for my CO2 tank? Any advice on which company to go with? model's etc? Or a good place for me to find reviews of this stuff?
The help so far has been invaluable :) I really appreciate it.

For regualtors, AquariumPlants has their carbon doser. Rock solid and very reliabe with great service to back it up. Others would be any of the ones sold by GreenLeafAquariums....they have ones ranging mostly in the 200-300 range that use quality everything. They also have a true dual stage one that is more expensive.

I am jumping back into a caclium reactor. I have used Geos and they are very good, the 612 would be more than enough for your tank. I am trying a Super Reef Ocotpus 5000 on mine.....larger and higher flow, less media I'll need to add Im thinking. My last attempt with reacotrs that had me quitting them was with a Geo and AquariumPLants regulator....great combo, but I was still getting clogged effluent. A small particle of crap would get clogged on the effluent line and cause the alkalinity in the tank to drop.

Much more expensive solution to this is me going with a continuous peristaltic pump, I got mine off a fellow hobbyist here, tkerace619, off of several masterflex pumps he bought. Great digital adujustable pump, cost me $400 plus shipping for the pump, the head I got for about $75

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2172515&highlight=masterflex

You could also contact him to see if he would help you find maybe a cheaper continuos duty one, or check ebay and see what you come up with.

Again, not for everyone as it is extremely expensive, but guaranteed to be the least problematic. Feeding with a return pump line or powerhead also works well enough. I would try to find a way to prevent clogging of the effluent line if i went that route again. Maybe a tiny sponge at the beginning of the effluent line, or some incorparting filter tube....like the size of a skimmer silencer....to catch any particulates.

bnumair
06/09/2012, 01:36 PM
i have a dual chamber reef octopus and i am happy with that. i choose it over Geo. due to reasons:
1, dual chamber in R Oct. dissolves more co2 and thus cause less ph lowering effect.
2. R O has a much bigger recirculating pump rated at 500+ gph while Geo has 120gph.

i also got the co2 doser from aquariumplants.com and its dead on on how much co2 u want to put in.