PDA

View Full Version : 15days ich spots still there

antjtc
06/07/2012, 09:11 PM
My fire fish has same six white specs on one side and three on other side. At least 15days now. He isn't acting strange and I saw him scratch one time. Shouldn't the ich have fallen off by now?

Andrew
06/07/2012, 09:16 PM
What your'e seeing now is just the skins reaction to the parasite. The white spots are not the parasite. The trophont will burrow their way through the epithelial cells and feed off the fish for a week or so. The white spots are nearly a reaction the fish has. I would highly recommend the following article as well as the follow up part 2 which is linked at the bottom:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

sponger0
06/08/2012, 07:07 AM
You need to treat the fish in a QT. Its isnt going to just go away.

jformani
06/08/2012, 08:07 AM
I'm against quarantine, especially if the fish is eating and acting normal. Keep the fish fed well and as long as he doesnt have a major outbreak you should be good.

You really have to know what your doing when you quarantine a fish. Most times the fish gets stressed and causes the ich to come back 10x as bad.

sponger0
06/08/2012, 08:13 AM
As long as you dont mind continued ich outbreaks. Keeping a fish with ich fed well doesnt cure the tank. Ich still lives in the tank and future outbreaks are most likely a possibility.

How does ich come back 10x as bad if you kill of the ich? Please explain that.

Tin_Whistler
06/08/2012, 09:33 AM
You really have to know what your doing when you quarantine a fish. Most times the fish gets stressed and causes the ich to come back 10x as bad.

Stress doesn't create ich, ich creates ich, it's a parasite.

Would you leave your dog covered in fleas? Would you leave headlice on your kids? If the answer to those is yes, you shouldn't have kids, or a dog.

If you want to leave parasites on your fish you shouldn't keep them.

Kfig7
06/08/2012, 12:09 PM
For whats its worth I had a firefish years ago who had 3 tiny specs which I thought was ich. After a long quarantine the spots never went away. Never had any signs of ich in the future once put into DT. Other fish were fine as well. Not saying this is the case with your fish but its not always ich.