PDA

View Full Version : coral acclimation

Toke23
06/08/2012, 03:10 PM
I know ive asked this before and i have done it before but i just want to make sure im doin it right. corals dont need to be salt acclimated; just to acclimated to the lighting right? so just place them on the bottom of the tank to start then gradually move them to final placement over a few days?

bob1968
06/08/2012, 03:12 PM
You should dip them first.

Toke23
06/08/2012, 03:22 PM
considered that but skipped it this time; i didnt see it as that important but i will do it from now on as recommended.

Toke23
06/08/2012, 03:31 PM
id on the one on the right while im here? i think its a brain but not sure

Andrew
06/08/2012, 03:56 PM
considered that but skipped it this time; i didnt see it as that important but i will do it from now on as recommended.

Dipping is very important. Don't wanna risk getting any pest or reef bugs into your system. I've went through that and it's not worth it to skip a simple 5 minute dip.

Metal Man 1221
06/08/2012, 06:29 PM
+1 dip for sure

I always drip acclimate for about an hour as well. Both times I didn't I lost some nice healthy colonies.

Andrew D
06/08/2012, 09:22 PM
Don't want to hijack the thread, but it's kinda related. What do you dip your corals in? Me, I've always quarantined for at least 4 weeks, and so far, while I have had losses in my QT I've had none attributable to pests in my DT. Am curious what others woudl recommend in terms of dip.

faisal629
06/08/2012, 11:29 PM

looks like an acan to me

Bluewater04
06/09/2012, 12:58 AM
Looks like lobophyllia to me.

Bluewater04
06/09/2012, 12:59 AM
I know ive asked this before and i have done it before but i just want to make sure im doin it right. corals dont need to be salt acclimated; just to acclimated to the lighting right? so just place them on the bottom of the tank to start then gradually move them to final placement over a few days?

I acclimate all of my coral as if it were a fish. Just remember it is an animal to and can get stressed out by change. I also recommend the dip.

afamousjohnson
06/09/2012, 01:40 AM
How deep is your tank? Its nice to know a lil about what light and placement your coral was coming from to adjust where to start acclimating your coral to your light. I just picked up some red planet from a friend and as it was run high in a 90 under very intense led lighting system I think starting it out on the bottom of my 90 running my 250mh would have done more worse for the stressed out coral than good.

Ive never quarintiened any of my corals...Safer the better though so not a bad idea. I am interested to hear what peeps are using to dip their corals as well. Never dipped either but am starting because its just better if ya do. Ive heard anything from pestecides to LFS bought.