PDA

View Full Version : Somebody please help

jmacc702
06/12/2012, 07:50 AM
Last night my black&white clown had tiny barely noticeable white spots. I didn't wanna be ich paranoid so I did nothing. This morning.. The white spots have spread and they are now on my naked clown as well. Both clowns are in QT still (have been for about 3 weeks). I would offer pictures but I only have my iPhone and I doubt I could capture anything that could help. Anyways.. What do I do?! These are my first marine fish and I have never battled with ich. :/

EllieSuz
06/12/2012, 08:00 AM
My first suggestion would be to treat immediately with copper. Cupramine is a popular brand and should be available at your local LFS. Follow the instructions carefully. Presuming you do not have any rock or other porous material in QT, treatment can begin right away. Make sure you have adequate oxygen exchange. A powerhead pointed at the surface so that the water "roils" is one way. Don't panic; this is the reason we put fish in quarantine.

jmacc702
06/12/2012, 03:16 PM
I am utterly confused at this point. I just got home from work and the spots are gone?! What the %#*^ is going on?

Uncle Salty 05
06/12/2012, 03:22 PM
You should still follow elliesuz instruction.
They will be back with a vengance.

poakley723
06/12/2012, 03:29 PM
Just treat them. Better safe then sorry.

jmacc702
06/13/2012, 02:07 AM
Does ich come and go at night? I just woke up in the middle of the night and the spots are back? So strange but I guess I don't know I'm still very very new to this hobby. I will pick up cupramine first thing in the morning, I hope they survive :/

Drew707
06/13/2012, 02:12 AM
To break it Down fast ich falls off into eggs on the substrate just to hatch and reattach ..its a pain..good job with the QT tho

Reefahholic
06/13/2012, 03:56 AM
The spots are only visible for a few days, but the fish are still in danger.

Check out the ICH sticky at top of this page.

jmacc702
06/13/2012, 08:59 AM
Both didn't make it past the night. I feel horrible.

MrTuskfish
06/13/2012, 09:11 AM
If they died that fast, it is very likely be velvet or brooklynella. I'd check out the disease section of our forum and read the stickies there. A tough lesson, but a good example of why a QT is vital. All parasites can wipe out a DT; but velvet and brooklynella are usually much faster. I wouldn't buy anymore fish until you are ready to battle potential parasites/diseases. Good move starting with a QT, I assume no other fish were exposed to these clowns? BTW, being "ich paranoid" is a good thing. Countless folks have left this great hobby because they didn't take ich seriously.

Regarding your signature: My son is 6'6"; when asked if he plays basketball, his answer is ''Sure!. Do you play miniature golf?"

rrasco
06/13/2012, 02:38 PM
Regarding your signature: My son is 6'6"; when asked if he plays basketball, his answer is ''Sure!. Do you play miniature golf?"

I just seen the OP's siggy in another post, which was funny enough, but that's just hilarious....and I'm only 5'5"