PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Question

$mooth
06/12/2012, 10:16 AM
I have a cycling question. I just set up a 120 gallon tank with live rock online straight from the Fuji Island and some Largo Dry Rock. I put the live rock and dry rock in the tank with water 3 quarters full with two powerheads running on June 1st. since then I did two partial water changes and when I tested the water couple days ago it showed 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20 ppm for nitrate. That seems super fast for the cycling process and wanted to know if that seems right. I had a saltwater tank before but don’t remember it being that fast. Any comments is appreciated! if its done cycling when can i start adding sps corals??? im planning on doing a sps tank

stingythingy45
06/12/2012, 10:21 AM
Did you have any readings of ammonia?
Sometimes there's not enough die off on the dry rock to get a good cycle.

$mooth
06/12/2012, 10:24 AM
i tested the ammonia yesterday and it was at 0. there is nothing on the dry rock. here's what they are.

http://www.marcorocks.com/50poundboxkeylargorockfreeshippinginthecontinentalus.aspx

bertoni
06/13/2012, 01:27 AM
I probably would throw in a bit of fish food to see whether that causes any ammonia to show up, but I suspect the tank is okay for some corals.

Drew707
06/13/2012, 01:33 AM
Took my tank 7 fish in a month to finaly get a spike and then it cycled in a week..I rushed it but everything is fine and lived :).. ur tank is big so u need a big kill off or constant ammonia flow..I say fry some live stock but take it slow ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/13/2012, 05:45 AM
I agree that adding a little fish food is a good way to go. ;)